586,058 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kwik switch 200 stuck

I have a 70s BP Series 1 that I purchased about 6 months ago. When I first bought it I changed the tool to a collet with removable inserts for different sized tools (don't remember the name) but haven't had to remove that collet since. Now it is time to change the collet and I cannot get it to move for the life of me. It feels solidly attached to the spindle despite the Kwik switch nut turning left and right. The nut doesn't snap back as well as I think it should so their might be an issue there but I don't know enough about the system to make a fair assessment.

I have already tried the obligatory 1 pound of rubber on a stick to no success. Does anybody have experience getting one of these off? It is my understanding that the retaining nut should turn CCW a tad against a spring and the tool holder should drop out. Instead the tool holder feels like it is welded in place.

One other thing I don't understand. There appears to be a plastic bushing that covers where the slots are for the tool holder ears. I don't remember it being part of the collet but it doesn't make sense any other way. If anybody has pictures of one installed or a good description, I would appreciate this. I fear this is something painfully obvious but it has been driving me nuts for a few days on top of not having my mill to do the work I should be doing while going nuts.

Thanks in advance.

I appears that years of particulates was the cause. Turning the nut back and forth and washing the assembly out with WD-40 worked like a champ. The rotation distance has close to doubled so I am assuming there was debris gumming it up and not allowing it to get all the way to the release point.

MAKE sure the retaining nut is fully disengaged, you are pushing the wrench away from you to the left of the spindle. Tap it with a hammer to make sure it is fully in the release position. While holding the wrench in that position gently but firmly rap the side of the tool holder with a steel hammer. With your third hand catch the tool holder as it falls out.

Don't leave it like that for months again