586,075 active members*
3,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking Unusual request

I work at the Indianapolis Zoo. We have an adult elephant with a broken tusk. We normally have at local shop cast a brass cap for protection. They do not wish to work with us anymore. Our keepers have made a female plaster mold and then made a male plaster casting from it. I have that male plaster casting and would like a 3d scan of it. I can then use it to make caps of various materials on my cnc router. We are a non-profit organization and the largest Zoo in the country not to receive any tax money, so our resources are somewhat limited. Letting people know who helps us is great advertizing. Casting is approx 2.5 inches in dia. and 5.5 inches long. Any help would be appreciated. Mike:banana:

Curious, why would you need a 3D scan. Can't you take some basic measurements and make a model? How precise do you really need to be? I would assume this would be cemented into place, just like a dental cap on a human.

question

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Curious, why would you need a 3D scan. Can't you take some basic measurements and make a model? How precise do you really need to be? I would assume this would be cemented into place, just like a dental cap on a human.
    Because of the pressures involved. An elephants neck muscles are astronomically strong. These are screwed in place. No cement in the world is that strong. Each cap is good for about 6-8 months. This is for a tusk not a tooth. Thanks for asking the question, though. Mike

You really did not explain what precision you need. For a 3D laser scan of your model, contact your nearest Faro distributor and ask for their assistance. This might be a good advertising opportunity for them.

I assume you have little or no experience with aerospace grade bonding agents. Not sure how they would work with organics though. If you really need maximum strength, have you considered carbon fiber composites in addition to any metals?

FARO

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    You really did not explain what precision you need. For a 3D laser scan of your model, contact your nearest Faro distributor and ask for their assistance. This might be a good advertising opportunity for them.

I assume you have little or no experience with aerospace grade bonding agents. Not sure how they would work with organics though. If you really need maximum strength, have you considered carbon fiber composites in addition to any metals?
    The local FARO rep, through the FARO corporate office, has agreed to come here and 3d scan the model. Many thanks to txcncman for the suggestion and to FARO for agreeing to do it for us. You're both a great credit to the CNC community. Mike:wee:

Check into the Hysol urethane and epoxy adhesives. I would call a 3M Rep as they'll likely sample them free. The problem with industrial adhesives is they are STRONGER than mechanically fastening. We've tested numerous different adhesives and some of them are incredible.

Start with a E-30CL if the tusk is hard and not too porus (glass bonder). Or if you need a more flexible adhesive look to the FL series.

The most accurate part will be one actually cast from the original mold, which includes the interface to the broken tusk.

I would be tempted instead to use an epoxy granite mix and cast it directly from the original, or in theory, you could mold it right onto the elephant. I am not sure if they would be as excited about carrying around a mold on their head for a few days though.

OOOhh something waaay different.
    All I can say
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif