586,096 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Acer CNC Mill, any good?

Im looking to get a CNC Milling machine for my shop to cut flanges. Right now I have a Plasmacam, but most of the flanges I need to cut are 1/2" Alum or SS, and the Plasmacam just doesnt produce clean results with that thick of material. So after doing a search on eBay, I found 1 within driving distance, im sure a bridgeport is the way to go, but I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the Acer machines.

Acer

Thanks for your time!
    Jim
    JM Fabrications

The acer machine are ok. Before you spend that kind of money look into a used machining center, late '80-early '90's machines can be had for the same or less money. Don't get me wrong cnc knee mills have thier place and use, but a machining center can do so much more.

My only concern with an older machine is reliability, im new to CNC milling, so i dont know a damn thing about repairing one, but I will keep my eye out for an older machining center. Id love to get a Hurco VM1, $35k isnt bad for that machine, now I just need to win the lottery!

Jim

your problem seems to be the torch, plasmacam should be able to do any thickness that the torch will handle. i have the thermal dymnamics cutmaster 151 with plasmacam table and can cut 1" pretty good. supposed to be able to cut up to 1 3/4", but haven'e tried yet..
    the voltage and hieght settings are hard to get right, but I keep a dryboard chart on the wall and keep track of every setting with every thickness and type of material i cut. seems once i get the settings they repeat. the 151 is good as it takes 20 amp to 100 amp tips, allowing for smaller kerf for thinner materials, but allows me to change to a 100 amp tip for heavy materials.

Dave