586,076 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Damage caused by crash

We currently have a Tormach PCNC1100 that we want to upgrade to a VF Haas.

Yesterday, after an otherwise crash-free career, I was in a hurry and messed up a departure setting. While cutting a keyway slot deep inside of a part- the machine tried to rapid out through the side of the part. Luckily the Tormach has limited torque and it just stalled the steppers & spindle but it made me wonder what would that have done on a Haas? Would that have caused damage to the machine? What normally happens during a crash like that? It was just a 1/2 shank tool so maybe the shank would have just snapped? It made me think that maybe I'm not worthy to upgrade

Thanks in advance!

Too bad you did not get video. Damage the Haas? Not likely. You would probably get broken tool and scrapped part. Possible damage to vise jaws. If the tool holder was involved you might get a meltdown. Pretty sparks. Nothing to worry about too much...other than the cost of the material, tooling, machine time already spent. I would take the time to re-home all the axis and make sure everything goes back to zeros.

Probably would have broke the cutter, scraped the material, and pulled the part out of the vise. Rapiding down in to something solid is much worse.

I have seen too many crashes I am afraid, some caused by me!

But, I have never seen any damage to the Haas machine itself. Just tooling, fixtures and parts as mentioned.

It is truly amazing to me how fast everything stops when the crash occurs. X Y and Z are no problem. But, that pesky spindle can crank up some power and bore tools in pretty well.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I had an employee rapid a 1/2" carbide end mill into the top of a kurt vice and of course on the steel part of it, not the aluminum jaws.

It bored an almost perfect hole in the vice and the cutter didn't even get chipped.

I guess it wasn't my day to spend lots of money.

sometimes you get lucky....then again sometimes you don't.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Thanks so much for the feedback! I feel a lot better. I guess I was just afraid that will so much more power and speed that a crash would damage something more serious. I guess Hass accounts for that though with more structure.

I'm back on the search for a new (to me) machine

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    I had an employee rapid a 1/2" carbide end mill into the top of a kurt vice and of course on the steel part of it, not the aluminum jaws.

It bored an almost perfect hole in the vice and the cutter didn't even get chipped.

I guess it wasn't my day to spend lots of money.

sometimes you get lucky....then again sometimes you don't.
    I ran a brand new one into the hard jaws of a Kurt and was really pissed at myself. Then I pulled it out from about .300 deep and the endmill was still like new. It is amazing what some of them can do.

Michael T.------Also
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28