As a newbie to the CNC world, I would appreciate credible advise to my research on whether to buy or build a woodworking CNC router. I am a mechanical engineer and an accomplished woodworker / woodturner, so building a machine is not out of the question. I would like to add to my shop a CNC router, aprox 25" X 25" X 5" (min) for general hooby application. I have looked at the General Industries router and liked the fact I do not have to tie up my computer in the shop while running, limit switches, pause feature, deadman switch, and ACME screws. Did not like that it was built in Taiwan, a proprietary router, noisy, no vacuum PU, and small dim Y axis. I looked at the Shark Pro HD, but did not like tieing up the laptop, no limit switches. Liked that it was built in America (Cleveland, OH)I have looked at K2 machines - just a little too much to spend for what I want to do: signs, woodcarving, some antique part reproduction for personal use. I definitely want screw movement (ACME)machines, not rollers, belts, or other movement mechanisms.
I mentioned the above so you have some kind of idea what I am looking at and approx price.
Question: Is there a comparable CNC kit out there to the Shark ProHD- OR- a comparable DIY plan or kit for a serious hobbiest at the size I am looking for that will not break the bank and meet my design considerations?
Thanks in advance for your help.