586,391 active members*
2,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question MakerSlide Router

Is any building a MakerSlide Router, Pics.?

Have you seen the Open Rail System Its for larger & smaller CNC projects and may be just what you are looking for.
    Check out the Kickstarter here: OPEN RAIL Open Source Linear Bearing System by Mark Carew — Kickstarter
    Mark and Trish

Quote Originally Posted by kram242 View Post
    Have you seen the Open Rail System Its for larger & smaller CNC projects and may be just what you are looking for.
    Check out the Kickstarter here: OPEN RAIL Open Source Linear Bearing System by Mark Carew — Kickstarter
    Mark and Trish
    I've seen the funded Open Rail kickstarter project, but I have not seen anywhere to actually buy the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryE View Post
    Is any building a MakerSlide Router, Pics.?
    I'm building a Makerslide fabric cutter which will be 6 ft x 16 ft and requires seven sticks of 1800mm Makerslide extrusions. I'll eventually post a build log, but I want to complete the project and make sure it works before doing that.

Pyro, judging from what you've posted on the other thread, I have no doubt at all that you can build the cutting table successfully, but doing it first, and posting it afterwards deprives you of a possible "golden comment" that makes the build better, and saves you much time / effort in the future.

Build logs are at their best as living documents, not static records. It's literally the building of a machine in a big room, with other like-minded folks. Sometimes nobody says anything, because they think you're doing fine, but even one person spotting something you've not considered can transform a project, and make it more than what it would have otherwise been..

Sorry if that came out preachy. I look forward to seeing whatever you post.

Luke

...He who makes no mistakes makes nothing! ...
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
    Pyro, judging from what you've posted on the other thread, I have no doubt at all that you can build the cutting table successfully, but doing it first, and posting it afterwards deprives you of a possible "golden comment" that makes the build better, and saves you much time / effort in the future.

Build logs are at their best as living documents, not static records. It's literally the building of a machine in a big room, with other like-minded folks. Sometimes nobody says anything, because they think you're doing fine, but even one person spotting something you've not considered can transform a project, and make it more than what it would have otherwise been..

Sorry if that came out preachy. I look forward to seeing whatever you post.

Luke

I can see the merits to that approach. I've actually done it that way with other machine builds (not cnc) and noticed the feedback benefit. Generally I design everything first in Rhino, then order all the parts and the actual build only takes a few weeks. When something doesn't work as planned then that's where the community brainstorm aspect helps out. The only drawback is for forum readers who might be looking for a concise report for how a machine was built and doesn't want to wade through a half dozen dead ends. The log-as-you-go method benefits me, whereas the log-what-worked method benefits them.

Quote Originally Posted by tpworks View Post
    The Open Rail sold there is still sold as a kickstarter pledge. Mention is made that the project has been funded and is in production, but is not actually shipping yet.
    "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

Quote Originally Posted by Pyronaught View Post
    I've seen the funded Open Rail kickstarter project, but I have not seen anywhere to actually buy the rails.
    You can get the rails and slides at Inventables.
    If you're in Europe, then try Makerslide Europe.
    Regards
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by tumutbound View Post
    You can get the rails and slides at Inventables.
    If you're in Europe, then try Makerslide Europe.
    I was referring to the Open Rail product, which is different from Makerslide.
    "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

I would like to make an order from openbuilds.com, but I wanted to know how long it takes to ship and about the bolts that tighten the v-wheels - do you need one per set?

Also, the nylon v-wheels are for light duty - I will be doing wood and not metals, so would that be considered "light duty"?