586,096 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > saving tool holders with the tool

saving tool holders with the tool

i do not understand why in mastercam tool holders are set in the tool path parameters and not in the mastercam tool library? how do you store a holder with a tool so it can be reused?

Not sure I understand the question. Where are you saving your edits to the tool holder for a given tool? Are you using Tool Manager? Or are you only editing at the Operations Manager? Or did you create a custom tool library?

it does not appear possible saving a holder with a tool because holders are defined in a machining tool path parameters and saved there as well and not in the mastercam tool library. every time i have to define a tool holder rather than recall it and its associated tool from the tool library?

I am on X3. Shot 01 is the Operation Manager tool info. Shot 02 is Tool Manager tool info. If i change the size of the tool holder in Tool Manager and save it to the Tool Library, it will be there when I reuse that tool on the next job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool01.jpg   tool02.jpg  

screen capture of how tool holders are defined in x5 in machining tool path parameters not mastercam tool library. want to save holder with tool and not define every time. also have to open tool holder library and then search for tool holder every time. if you do not define holder like in screen shot, holder is not gouged checked against part!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X5 holders.jpg  

I see. Looks like MasterCam made something new but did not finish their homework by allowing the tool holder to be linked to a tool. Maybe someone else knows how to link them together, I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesph Jackman View Post
    screen capture of how tool holders are defined in x5 in machining tool path parameters not mastercam tool library. want to save holder with tool and not define every time. also have to open tool holder library and then search for tool holder every time. if you do not define holder like in screen shot, holder is not gouged checked against part!
    To the best of my knowledge, You need to define the holder each time you select a tool.
    I now use Vericut to verify everything, so I no longer waste my time defining holders in MC

At this time you can not save a holder with a tool. this is coming thow.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    At this time you can not save a holder with a tool. this is coming thow.
    thanks for the confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, You need to define the holder each time you select a tool.
    I now use Vericut to verify everything, so I no longer waste my time defining holders in MC
    what did you pay for vericut?

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I see. Looks like MasterCam made something new but did not finish their homework by allowing the tool holder to be linked to a tool. Maybe someone else knows how to link them together, I do not.
    i agree with you about mastercam making something new and finishing their homework. well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesph Jackman View Post
    what did you pay for vericut?
    The company I work for bought it, so I don't know.

Joesph Jackman contact Jim Huddy at Vericut he will give you an idea of the cost for the option you need. as there are allot of option so there are different costs. Or you can go to Westec at the end of the month and Jim is always there.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

what i do is create my holders and save them to a library and keep saving any new holders created to that library. whenever i call up a tool i assign that tool to it's holder and it keeps it in memory for that program. it's a pita but that is the only way i can do it in MC and be consistent. whenever i output my files to Vericut the holder info is being pulled in for the simulation.
    every machine we have their own holder library based on whether it's a shrink, solid, collet holder etc. programming and simulation becomes a breeze at that point.
    also you can create your holders and tools in vericut and set the switch to load tools from vericut instead of MC.
    love vericut. program my part, run simulation, push cycle start and walk away from the machine.
    using X5 MU1 btw
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-king View Post
    what i do is create my holders and save them to a library and keep saving any new holders created to that library. whenever i call up a tool i assign that tool to it's holder and it keeps it in memory for that program. it's a pita but that is the only way i can do it in MC and be consistent.
    thanks. i will use this method.