586,525 active members*
3,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Developing new cutting tool concept, interested?

Hi Guys
    My name is Mehdi and I am from New Zealand. I am a toolmaker by trade since 1988; I also do tool design and CNC programming, using Pro/Engineer for quite a while. In early 2010 I developed an idea for rough cutting on machining centres, it is not an ordinary cutter with different geometry and it is a whole mechanism that acts as a cutter.
    It would be considers as a normal tool in tool changing procedure and I believe cutting parameters for 80mm cutter can be approximately: spindle 500 RPM, feed 2000 mm/min and depth of cut about 10mm.
    The material removal rate is significantly larger than even feed mills and the amount of generated vibration and heat in quite low, as result the smaller machines can handle bigger cutters and can be run with coolant at all the times.
    I submitted the design with Lambert&Lambert in US for valuation last year and it considered a significantly valuable concept.
    I am looking for a company or person that be interested in developing the idea.

Smile Interested

Hi,
    My company is involved in developing new cnc machines and cutting tools and would be interested in finding out more about your project.
    You can contact me (David) through the Contact Us page on our web site:
    www.advancedrobotic.com
    Australian CNC Routers & Plasma Cutters - http://www.advancedrobotic.com/

Hi David,

Thanks for your message, I would like to introduce myself as Mehdi Rezaei and I’ve been involved with product development, toolmaking and CNC machining for 25 years, I came up with this cutting tool idea in early 2010.
    I submitted a hand sketched design with one of the US invention agencies in 2010 and they considered it as a product with potential for development.
    I worked and researched quite a lot on the concept since then and as result of that I finished modelling the concept in Pro/E and it’s ready for prototyping.
    I’ve also been introduced to a company in US a few months ago through my marketing research and they showed some interests for developing the idea.
    The cutting method is quite revolutionary and this type of cutters could have various applications in heavy machining and finishing and also the same method might be able to be used in mining industry as well.
    I’m quite open to any suggestion or offer and looking forward to be able to manufacture the prototype and do some trials to see whether it actually works.
    My email address is [email protected]
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Mehdi Rezaei

Hi Mehdi.
    We are a tool grinding company with a CNC mill in Howick , Auckland and may be able to help you advance your project. Send us a email on [email protected] if you like.

Rodney

Hi Rodney,
    Thanks for the message. I’m also from Auckland, North shore.
    Regarding the cutting tool concept, there are a couple of companies, one from US and the other one from Australia showed interest in last few months. I’m not too certain whether I can come up with any kind of agreement with any of them at this stage but I’ll stay in touch and let you know for any updates.
    My email address is [email protected]

Best regards

Mehdi

mehdy.rezaei

I don't see anywere that you have applied for a patent, You should not be showing your Design to anyone until you have legal representation it may already be to late if you have shown your design to US & other companys
    Mactec54

Mactec54,

Thanks for the advice, I have looked at applying for provisional patent but the problem with that is the time limitation. It’s only giving me a year and regarding my current situation I decided not going through prototyping on my own.
    I released information under NDA and I’m aware that it might not be sufficient but I also decided to trust a couple of people to get things moving.

Cheers

Mehdi

mehdy.rezaei

Showing your design, to the US companys & anywere without proper papers in place
    you will lose your design, Make it in NZ, Get the provisional patent, The NDA is not going to stop anyone from claming your design, If you really have a tool design that can do what you are saying, you would soon get your money back
    Mactec54