586,075 active members*
4,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY coin dies?

Hello all,
    My name is Doug I am retired and am going to start my DIY CNC mill, finally.
    I have many questions and I have spent a lot of time lurking on this and other forums.
    Can I make coin dies 1” dia. with good quality?
    I plan to use high carbon steel in its annealed state and harden it when done cutting.
    I don’t need to cut fast. Most of the talk in the forums is about cutting Al, brass, etc.
    Is making coin dies possible?
    I have some linier tables that have no back lash that I can detect.
    They are from HP, weigh a “ton” (all stainless steel) but meet all requirements for good CNCing as far as I can tell.
    I am also in need of guidance on whether to go servos or steppers.
    I want to get a complete setup (kit) from the same source if possible. Dealing with one source just seems easier to me.
    I thought I might use an auto engine block for my table base and put a thick steel plate on the back of the block for the Z axis as this should be 90 deg. To the “table”.
    I do have the room for this big, heavy beast.
    I don’t have deep pockets, but I have enough $s for this project.
    Any help much appreciated,
    Doug

Question

OK, one question at a time.
    Using a Taig type cnc mill, can coin dies be cut into annealed steel and end up with reasonably decent quality? I am sure it would have to be machined slooowly.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Ps,
    If I should be in another forum with my questions, please let me know. People have been telling me where to go for years now so I can take it. :wave:

I would say yes to the taig. I have one and it really amazing what those little machines can do. they are pretty ridged. I would check the backlash and setup on a new one. but mine was in great shape right out of the box. It has 270 oz/in steppers and a Xylotex controller. shop smart for one and you should be able to get a CNC configured machine for around $1500 or less, minus computer.

A machine ready for Nema 23 motors & controller can be purchase new from cartertools.com for about $900-$1100 depending on configuration. If you DIY the controller with a Xylotex and get the steppers from Automation Dirrect you can be in operation for less than $1500. Want servos? that will cost more.

I have seen it done, I think ArtCam is a program that will make your Plates from, I would imagine you will need a pricy program to accomplish it right.

http://www.artcam.com/

Joe

Sounds like an interesting project. I just wonder if it would be worth while to consider making carbon graphite or copper electrode sinker dies on the small mill and build one of the simple edm machines to etch into hardened steel?

DC

I would say yes to the taig. I have one and it really amazing what those little machines can do. they are pretty ridged. I would check the backlash and setup on a new one. but mine was in great shape right out of the box. It has 270 oz/in steppers and a Xylotex controller. shop smart for one and you should be able to get a CNC configured machine for around $1500 or less, minus computer.

A machine ready for Nema 23 motors & controller can be purchase new from cartertools.com for about $900-$1100 depending on configuration. If you DIY the controller with a Xylotex and get the steppers from Automation Dirrect you can be in operation for less than $1500. Want servos? that will cost more.
    DieGuy,
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    The 270 0z/in steppers should be sufficient for a taig type mill.
    Is 270 oz/in. about as strong as can be had in the Nema 23?
    If I don’t need to spend the extra $s for servos…that is a good thing.
    Sounds like you have a nice setup.

I have seen it done, I think ArtCam is a program that will make your Plates from, I would imagine you will need a pricy program to accomplish it right.
    Joe,
    I have been looking at different software…too many choices is a good thing.
    I will go back and look at Artcam.
    Thanks for your input.

Sounds like an interesting project. I just wonder if it would be worth while to consider making carbon graphite or copper electrode sinker dies on the small mill and build one of the simple edm machines to etch into hardened steel?
    DC,
    I have thought of doing what you suggested and it is another thought. I have a couple books on DIY EDM, and it looks like lots of fun.

I need to make some decisions now.
    I am not very knowledgeable about the electronics end of things…I wish I was. :frown:
    Thanks again you guys.
    This is a great forum,

Doug

So, I gather that coining dies are the ones used to make coined surfaces in sheet metal.

“So, I gather that coining dies are the ones used to make coined surfaces in sheet metal.”
    Viper,
    Yes, what I call coining dies are like what the gov. mint uses to make coins.
    I am not sure “sheet metal” is the proper term for the “planchets” used to make coins and medallions. Basically you are correct. I have wanted to do this for a long time. I am having a lot of fun trying to bring it all together.
    Doug

So, what you want is a progressive tool and die set-up......where you deform the metal (stamp it) and then shear it to size.

Here is a good site to describe coining techniques. The coining die making is really an art.
    http://fleur-de-coin.com/e-library/m...ting.asp?sec=2

So, what you want is a progressive tool and die set-up......where you deform the metal (stamp it) and then shear it to size.
    Viper,
    All I can tell from my reading is that the coin Planchets are blanked out first and then
    They are stamped..both sides at the same time.
    What is a progressive tool and die set-up? Lol
    I am in this for fun, I have never sold anything from my shop and don’t expect to. I just like to take on a challenge and see if I can pull it all together.
    I am not a machinist, nor engineer. I was in construction for 40 yrs. before retiring a few years ago.
    I really appreciate this forum as I could not do any of this with out counsel from all of you guys that have so much knowledge and your willingness to share.
    Thanks again,
    Doug
    :cheers:

Dieguy,
    That is a very good site.
    I have been interested in this for a few years now, ever since I went to the fair and saw a fellow there using a wooden framed drop press with a lead filled metal box used as the hammer. He had an assortment of dies and he made novelty coin or medallions for people. It was fascinating.
    I want to make neat medallions for my family and friends.
    I have 2 of the Discovery channel episodes on coining on dvd…they are worth watching over and over.
    Thanks again,
    Doug
    :banana:

Doug, check out this website. This guy designed at least 5 of the state quarters and he has designed the software to help make coin designs and the G code to run the mill.
    http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/examples/nv.html

There is a subforum on CNCzone to get help with the software. The inventor posts there occasionally.

When we were in Virginia City, Nevada we saw a small shop where they make their own coins (medallions) and sell them in the store. Very cool!

Good luck.

:banana:
    Doug, check out this website. This guy designed at least 5 of the state quarters and he has designed the software to help make coin designs and the G code to run the mill.
    http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/examples/nv.html

There is a subforum on CNCzone to get help with the software. The inventor posts there occasionally.

When we were in Virginia City, Nevada we saw a small shop where they make their own coins (medallions) and sell them in the store. Very cool!

Buscht,
    That is a good site. The software sure looks good. I will be checking that site out more later.
    This weekend I was able to purchase a big, heavy Pantograph…a Deckel clone.
    Now I can make a larger ( up to 10” ) model in bas-relief using wax, plaster or what ever, then reduce it to a 1” die with the pantograph. Now that’s cooool.
    I still need to finish my mill as it will compliment the use of the Pantograph.
    Thanks again,
    Doug