586,119 active members*
3,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Unplugging USB - errors and warnings.

Unplugging USB - errors and warnings.

Every time I unplug my USB stick I get all kinds of warnings. I probably hit reset 6 times for each usb plug/unplug.

Has newer software fixed this? There is no "press this button and then this button" directions in the manual for unplugging the USB.

Quote Originally Posted by behindpropeller View Post
    Every time I unplug my USB stick I get all kinds of warnings. I probably hit reset 6 times for each usb plug/unplug.

Has newer software fixed this? There is no "press this button and then this button" directions in the manual for unplugging the USB.
    There are no special requirements for removing the USB from the machine. You should be able to remove USB without any kind of warnings.

I would call your dealer and discuss with them about software update for this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    There are no special requirements for removing the USB from the machine. You should be able to remove USB without any kind of warnings.

I would call your dealer and discuss with them about software update for this problem.

I know exactly what the dealer will say:

Its $90 an hour to drive out and $125 to update the software.

$400 for a 5 minute job.

This is the one thing that I think HAAS has fallen on it's face on. There is a bug in the software but I have to pay to fix it. Its been like that from day one.

Hello,

Can you provide the warning messages or alarms you are getting when you insert the USB? What software version do you currently have? We would need to determine if this issue is a software problem or hardware. Normally the dealer will not charge you if is a known software issue.

My machine does the same thing. It does not like it if you unplug it while it is in MEM mode, with a USB file open. If you do it in hand jog, and then put the USB back before you go back to MEM, it won't even notice.

It alarms the machine out and throws 2-3 errors, you have to hit the reset button a bunch.

Better then my fanuc control that likes to reboot the whole machine when you access the memory card...

Haas Factory Support

Quote Originally Posted by behindpropeller View Post
    I probably hit reset 6 times for each usb plug/unplug. Has newer software fixed this?
    For everyone that has this problem, please post or PM me your serial number and software version.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

My control used to black out all the time when pluggin in the USB.

I always had my flannel jacket sitting on the clip board next to control. I think mine was related to static and also if you put the usb in from an angle it will black out.

My usb goes in 10-30 times a day and I havent had problems sence I quite wearing the flannel jacket and got rid of the static.

I will look up the serial and software version tomorrow.

I've had the control COMPLETELY lock up (often) when using a USB thumb drive. It's a super mini mill I purchased new in 2007. I had them look at it several times when it was still under warranty. The software has been upgraded once or twice, and a "fix" (new connector and cable) installed, none of which completely cured the problem. When the machine locks up, the only fix is to shut down and re-boot. This never happens at a good time.

Process:
    Put the stick in
    press "list programs"
    cursor to the left side
    try to cursor down to usb and cursor sticks..
    and now the control is frozen........
    doesn't happen every time

I was once told the cure is to disable the hard drive.

I'm not using the ethernet
    file name is Oxxxxx.NC in the root directory of the thumb drive

On our 2006 VF-2ss it says to "Press Origin before removing USB". this works almost all the time.
    Every couple of weeks the machine wacks out and won't see any new programs on the stick even though the old one was deleted and/or replaced. Have to power down to fix it.