586,058 active members*
4,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Memory

Memory

Hi,

Has anyone had a problem with running out of memory on a long program, so that it will not generate a tool path?

Ernie

No problem here thus far..... However, I don't do really big parts.

Robert

I've got 4 gig of ram (3.5 gig available to Win XP) and haven't had a problem yet.

I haven't done any complex 3d surfacing programs yet, so it may just be a matter of time.

My performance complaint on Sprut is CPU related. I have a dual core processor, and Sprut only uses a single core when it's calculating tool paths. If Sprut's engineers could get this program to use multicore processors, they'd see a major performance increase.

Fred

I've seen it a time or two, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with the size of the model (I'm running 16GB of RAM). My guess is it's just a glitch in SPRUT.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    I've got 4 gig of ram (3.5 gig available to Win XP) and haven't had a problem yet.

I haven't done any complex 3d surfacing programs yet, so it may just be a matter of time.

My performance complaint on Sprut is CPU related. I have a dual core processor, and Sprut only uses a single core when it's calculating tool paths. If Sprut's engineers could get this program to use multicore processors, they'd see a major performance increase.

Fred
    I wonder if it is an XP issue ? I am running Win 7 and a quad core and it uses all cores when calculating toolpaths or running simulations.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sprut.jpg  
    www.sdmfabricating.com

It could be. On your system, does Sprut take all four cores to 100% when calculating a toolpath? On my system, I see one core go to 100%, and the other core remains mostly idle. The only benefit is that the system remains responsive while Sprut is mulling things over.

Frederic

No it dosen't. You can see in my screenshot ( inset cpu meter) that the usage of all 4 cores only adds up to 92%.
    I also checked in the performance tab of the task manager. This quad core is also hyperthreaded so it really has 8 cores available. But sprut only uses the 4 logical and not the 4 virtual.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

I had problems on my old machine, an XP machine with only 1 gig of RAM.
    It would frequently crash on long toolpaths.
    I have since upgraded to a 6 core Win7 machine with 4 gigs, and have encountered no crashes due to long toolpaths.
    But I'm sure Sprut only uses one of my cores when calculating toolpaths - I havent tested this in several versions though.

There are two reasons for getting an out of memory error that are common in programs.

First is you are out of memory! Obvious, but turns out to be especially rare. It is possible, but most programs won't consume all of available memory.

The second reason is that the most common error code returned by lazy programmers is E_OUTOFMEMORY. It is often times used to return an error when a specific error code wasn't known. It is a 'trick' as old as software programming, and admittedly a very bad practice. Some programmers will throw a E_OUTOFMEMORY error in their code with the intent of going back later and fixing it. However, they rarely go back and actually finish that. It could be that something failed, a driver didn't work, or that SprutCAM has called some system call incorrectly. Very difficult to diagnose.

For a typical user, this is a misleading message and cause of no end of grief. I would say very unlikely that you are actually out of memory. Something else is going wrong, and you are getting a bad error code back.