586,102 active members*
2,415 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Aluminum Mold

I have been making a lot of molds out of QC-7 aluminum and have been very happy with the outcome. Up till now I have gotten away with the ejector pin holes as vents but now I need to vent a cavity to help it fill. The parts are run in ABS and I dont want a flash point. Just wondering how deep i can go till it will flash. My shutoffs are around .0005 to .00075 and they have never flashed. Plus I'm doing all this on manual machines Thanks :wave:

Can you post a few pics of your work?

How big/complex of a mold can you make?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Aluminum mold

Dont really have any pictures of molds I've made here. There all for work and pretty much 10x10 or smaller. As for how big of mold i can make, guess I never thought about that. The mold i'm needing to vent is a 8 cavity mold. Not fun on a manual machine but i'm learing fast.

You gotta post pics. It's the unwritten rule!

By the way - welcome to the forum.

:wave:

Scott

hmm guess I gotta get some pictures going here. Thanks for the welcome. Theres lots of good stuff to learn on this forum

There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here and a lot of good people - nice place to kill a LOT of time!!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras
    There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here and a lot of good people - nice place to kill a LOT of time!!

Scott
    Whoops better not let my boss see that....speaking of that i need to get back to work

has anyone seen a aluminum replacement table for a bridgeport old style (j-head) mill

do you think you could mold and cast an alumiunm copy of a bridgeport vertical mill table? it is about 6"x9"x42"
    the light weight would make it more cnc able as less mass is less inertia and
    would be easyer on motors and controls.
    thanks, xhardwaremanx

hmmm.

well..... I'm building plastic injection molds so casting a mill table is pretty much not my thing i guess.

Since I did not see a responce to your post; ABS vents are around .0015-.0025 deep and about 1/8-3/16 wide. Generally you want a 1/4 land at the above depth then a deeper and wider land to the outside. If up until now you been able to get away with ejector pin venting you may need to just grind a slight flat on the side of the existing ejector pins.

Steven