586,100 active members*
2,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

operating system and ladder

Fanuc 18 ,

I would like to know more about the operating sytem for the control, and how it differs from the PMC ladder logic?

I have a friend that is trying to figure out how to change the cnc programs
    with in a program. That is not using sub programs, ie M98 etc.

How is the number changed the normal manual way? Is it done by the PMC? What address etc?
    Does fanuc offer any online classes? Don't have time to travel to a class.

need to read the macro section in the operators manual- thats about the only way you can program inside a program...

Quote Originally Posted by tc429 View Post
    need to read the macro section in the operators manual- thats about the only way you can program inside a program...
    Been there done that. I use macro's daily. If a macro is to be used I need the variable to put the program number in to activate it.

'program inside a program' does not make sense. what you want exactly is not clear.
    if you want to know about how the ladder works read the ladder manual. if you need info on macro variables read the macro section of the operators manual. if none of this applies you need to explain more exactly what you want to know.....

Unless you are talking about changing parameters then macros are the only way to change program data.
    The controller does have a operating system but you dont have access to it.
    Fanuc will do what ever you want as long as you pay them for it. Give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    'program inside a program' does not make sense. what you want exactly is not clear.
    if you want to know about how the ladder works read the ladder manual. if you need info on macro variables read the macro section of the operators manual. if none of this applies you need to explain more exactly what you want to know.....
    Hmmm that was another fellow that said the program inside a program, not me.
    I said to change the program with in a program. ie change from one main program to the next.

The imediate problem is. When a new pallet is introduced into the machine.
    He wants to have the program, say its number is o1234
    Do this

O1234
    G90GOG54
    G43Z1.H3
    AND ON AND ON
    ETC ETC
    G91G28Z0
    G91G28X0Y0
    M160 (PALLET CHANGE)
    #?????= O2345 <-----NEW PROGRAM FOR THE NEXT PALLET
    M30 <---- PROBABLY NOT NECESSARY BECAUSE NEW PROGRAM WOULD
    CANCLE IT FROM BEING SEEN.

NOW THE MACHINE HAS O2345 AS THE NEW MAIN PROGRAM.
    NO SUBS ALLOWED, AS WHEN RESET IS PUSHED A ROOKY WOULD BE LOST.
    Yes I know about M98Pxxxx, what is needed, is to be able to assign a new main program, just like some multi pallet cell systems do. Just need to know what system variable to change.
    Then its simple.
    #????=2345

How is the program number handled? If its typed into the control, the down arrow is pushed and the new program is there. Can it be done using a macro that accesses the down arrow key variable, still need to know the variable to put the number into. Why are the simple things so difficult?

In the operators manual it does not cover many of the system variables that exist in the control. Where is a good address or phone number to order the manuals at? I would like to know how to relate the various alphabet addresses to their variables. And how to relate them in the ladder as well. Its all pretty vague in all the info.

The ladder priciple is not too difficult to grasp, its the addressing and how the various logic relays are turned on and off, and how it relates to variables and the alphabetic addresses. Thats whats confusing, how does it relate to say the diagnostic page with the ons and offs? Say you have an X12.3
    where is that in the ladder in an 18i?(search shows not found in ladder) And what is the system variable for it? And how is it all figured out. I thank all of you ahead of time.
    Okay X is input signal so maybe there is no system variable????? Do system variables only exist for F addresses? I really need a good book on the subject.
    In the ladder there are boxed subs??? Is the diagram for them just below them? I know, sorry just a mess of questions I have.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy111 View Post
    Unless you are talking about changing parameters then macros are the only way to change program data.
    The controller does have a operating system but you dont have access to it.
    Fanuc will do what ever you want as long as you pay them for it. Give them a call.
    Nothing is learned that way. Unless they want to hire me, but I only travel in a 30 mile radius.
    And when you work for a place that sometimes cann't find the funds for the simple stuff, its a hard sell for something the upper ups can't even understand.
    I need a good 1-800 number for them. I want to purchase some manuals.

you can't just switch programs using O inside a program.
    the only way is calling programs using a sub (M98)
    All of the macro system variables are covered in the manual. You need to actually read the manuals instead of ranting on about how bad the manuals are (which you have clearly not read)
    in any case what you want can't be done. you can't send keystrokes to the machine from a program (O1234 down arrow search etc). if your people can't handle subs hire smarter people.

Why would you want the machine to write a new program?
    But anyhow it can be done if your controller is capable of it. Read the macro manual and get Smids custom macro book.

you can 'press keys' via a variable- the mdi keypad is somewhat accessible with 'external key input option', the keys are mapped as g- addresses in the ladder- you could use the #1032/#1132 words to move sequences into/out of the ladder to change screens and whatnot, but it would be messy to figure out. I played around with a similar app years back, found it was easier just to write the macro...we had a hines balancer feeding imbalance info into a mill that touch probed/mapped balance pads and cut requisite amounts fed in from the hines...was fun, but pressing cycle start executed a 13 page macro, took several seconds for machine to move

anyways, why not always just run program1, and m98p#500 or something like that? you can change 500 at will, and its battery backed in case of restart, so noone gets lost.

you can't just switch programs using O inside a program.
    the only way is calling programs using a sub (M98)
    All of the macro system variables are covered in the manual. You need to actually read the manuals instead of ranting on about how bad the manuals are (which you have clearly not read)
    in any case what you want can't be done. you can't send keystrokes to the machine from a program (O1234 down arrow search etc). if your people can't handle subs hire smarter people.
    How is a new main program called up on a muti pallet cell system? I have read the manual, operating manual, not a specific fanuc macro manual if there is one.
    I bought a fanuc macro programming book (not by fanuc) some time ago, and that author included system variables that are not in the fanuc operators manual.

How about the address deal I mentioned below?
    M98's would be a mess on the type of work that is done in this shop. It requires too much manual intervention and program searching. Hire smarter people, I don't think they can even find dumb ones now. The Boeing boom is making cnc people very hard to come by in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by tc429 View Post
    you can 'press keys' via a variable- the mdi keypad is somewhat accessible with 'external key input option', the keys are mapped as g- addresses in the ladder- you could use the #1032/#1132 words to move sequences into/out of the ladder to change screens and whatnot, but it would be messy to figure out. I played around with a similar app years back, found it was easier just to write the macro...we had a hines balancer feeding imbalance info into a mill that touch probed/mapped balance pads and cut requisite amounts fed in from the hines...was fun, but pressing cycle start executed a 13 page macro, took several seconds for machine to move

anyways, why not always just run program1, and m98p#500 or something like that? you can change 500 at will, and its battery backed in case of restart, so noone gets lost.
    Because when reset is pushed your back to the "calling" main program, and have to go hunting for the stuff in the sub program. Way more effcient to
    just back up to the start point in a main program that doesn't dissapear when reset is pushed.
    The parts are castings, refference cuts are made to figure out where to place the next cut. So a stop, measure, reset, recut are involved.

Good stuff, how do I figure out what key is what address? And how that address relates to the vairables? That is one of the questions below too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy111 View Post
    Why would you want the machine to write a new program?
    But anyhow it can be done if your controller is capable of it. Read the macro manual and get Smids custom macro book.
    Good question.
    I DO NOT WANT THE MACHINE TO WRITE A NEW PROGRAM!
    But I do want the machine to change to the next program when the new part moves into the machine by the pallet system. Say pallet number 1 is using program number O1234, then when it is done, pallet number 2 comes in the machine, now since its a different part, then it needs a different program right? Say its O3434. So I want the machine to call the program for that part, in the same manner that you would do it if you were calling up an other program manually. To do it manually you simply type in the number o3434, and push the down arrow key and you have the program registered as a main program.

why not just put everything in one program. reset won't lose your position then. all you need is a big memory but depending on how big your program is it may fit now.

why not just put everything in one program. reset won't lose your position then. all you need is a big memory but depending on how big your program is it may fit now.
    If it is an op1 and op2 they sometimes do that, as long as its the same part and a pallet swap is used with the same parts.
    If different parts are involved, that would head someone for a crash, especially when probing etc. especially if they had the wrong program for the wrong pallet. Yeah I know theres ways to safety it, but again complicates things. There is very limited memory on the one machine, with renishaw programs etc, long part programs are not a good thing.

And besides I really want to figure out how to accomplish the program change deal, (keeps the old brain cells ticking) I find it funny it isn't some option available in the control, such a simple thing, easy stuff if you know how to do it.

call Fanuc. they will give you the info if it exists for free. if its a hardware/software modification then at least you know its not available on the stock control.

Quote Originally Posted by exhaustgases View Post
    ... I do want the machine to change to the next program when the new part moves into the machine by the pallet system. Say pallet number 1 is using program number O1234, then when it is done, pallet number 2 comes in the machine, now since its a different part, then it needs a different program right? Say its O3434. So I want the machine to call the program for that part, in the same manner that you would do it if you were calling up an other program manually. To do it manually you simply type in the number o3434, and push the down arrow key and you have the program registered as a main program.
    Pallets can be coded in binary system through presence/absense of buttons which would / would not activate corresponding switches by pressing them when loaded on the machine table. The signals (0/1) from the switches would be used as input interface signals. Thus the program would know which pallet is loaded, and can take machining actions appropriate for that pallet. The main program would remain same; everything would be included in that. Or, one may call different subprograms based on pallet number.

look at section 8.3.30 in the connection manual for external key input- but be aware the ladder/macro work required to do what you are asking would be a big deal.

using work select might be easier, but the program numbers would need decoded somehow... we had some pallet m/cs with RFID chips on the pallets that went thru a 'server' type deal that dripfed the machines highspeed remote buffer unit with the appropriate program- again, its a pretty big deal to implement though

FANUC 1-800-??????? I need that to get started.

Cell systems don't need rfid chips. The master computer tells the machining center what program to activate as main. How do they do it?

How does an M98 do its thing? Its not part of the ladder. Its an internal control M code as far as I know.
    So #4115 will show the modal info of the active program, where does it get its info of that program? I'm looking for an address and variable???? The one thats a read and write, that gets the program number from the manual entry and down arrow keystroke. So is there a fanuc control ladder? The PMC and the control are 2 different animals, aren't they? The ladder everyone fools with is the PMC ladder, wheres the other one?