586,115 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Invert Jog keys?

Ok, I gave it 2 months, to try and get used to the jog keys on my TM-1P, but I can't.
    These buttons being WRONG is driving me crazy.

What should be X+ isn't
    Y+ isn't, etc.

Why these guys decided to mess with the cartesian coordinate system is a mystery to me.
    I hope the 2 guys responsible have been taken outside and properly flogged though.
    The guy who came up with the idea, and the one who approved it.

Anyhow, it there a way to change them, and make them suit me?
    You know, when I push the Y button on top, the cutter moves positive, the X button on the right makes the cutter move positive, etc...

Z keys are where Y keys should be, but I can get over that, what I can't get over is the fact that the Haas wants us to think in terms of the table moving instead of the cutter.

This will drive me batty for years, if I don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by HayreAss View Post
    Ok, I gave it 2 months, to try and get used to the jog keys on my TM-1P, but I can't.
    These buttons being WRONG is driving me crazy.

What should be X+ isn't
    Y+ isn't, etc.

Why these guys decided to mess with the cartesian coordinate system is a mystery to me.
    I hope the 2 guys responsible have been taken outside and properly flogged though.
    The guy who came up with the idea, and the one who approved it.

Anyhow, it there a way to change them, and make them suit me?
    You know, when I push the Y button on top, the cutter moves positive, the X button on the right makes the cutter move positive, etc...

Z keys are where Y keys should be, but I can get over that, what I can't get over is the fact that the Haas wants us to think in terms of the table moving instead of the cutter.

This will drive me batty for years, if I don't fix it.
    It will not drive you nuts if you just remember that these are to move the table during set-up etc. They are not to ad or subtract from X or Y.

Believe my, if you should change it everyone else will crash the machine. Pushing the right X button and having the table move left will blow everyone mind, except yours I guess.

Besides, if you set-up an origin say in the center of the table, and hit the right "-X" button, the table moves to the right but that makes the spindle move to the left and that is -X.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

There is no everyone else, just me.

My beef is having to remember something, or look at the keys.

It is WRONG to think in terms of the table moving.
    Wrong I say!!!

Understanding the cartesian coordinate system is just instinctual for me I think, and it's tough to fight instinct.
    Just like thinking in terms of moving the table.
    I've been a toolmaker for 20 years, there's no way I am going to be able to defeat the innate nature of my thinking in terms of Spindle movement, and switch to Table movement.

I am moving the Spindle to +X, so I should push the +X button.
    The +X button should therefore be in the +X position.

Haas makes gantry mills and routers, right?
    How are the buttons configured on those?

........My beef is having to remember something, or look at the keys.

Wrong I say!!!......
    Instead of saying "WRONG" just accept that it is different to what you are used to and adapt to it. It is quite simple to overcome ingrained habits if you take a positive rather than a negative approach.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I guess I am just having a bad day.

However, I am not used to anything in particular on a machine.
    This is my 1st CNC, well other than a 2 axis retro on a Bridgeport...

I stand by it being wrong still.
    As machinists/toolmakers/engineers/operators/whatever we really should be thinking in terms of spindle movement in relationship to our parts.

Yes, I am physically moving the table, but that is just a means to getting the spindle over a different point on the table.

I guess I am just having a bad day.

However, I am not used to anything in particular on a machine.
    This is my 1st CNC, well other than a 2 axis retro on a Bridgeport...

I stand by it being wrong still.
    As machinists/toolmakers/engineers/operators/whatever we really should be thinking in terms of spindle movement in relationship to our parts.

Yes, I am physically moving the table, but that is just a means to getting the spindle over a different point on the table.

So, on all of those Bridgeports that you have run---When you move the power feed handle for the table to the right----Which way did the table go??????????

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Ahh... Good point.
    It has been many years since I had power feed!

Wrong I say!!!

I am moving the Spindle to +X, so I should push the +X button.
    The +X button should therefore be in the +X position.

But the table IS what is moving not the spindle.

When you press +X you are cutting in the positive direction of the cartesian coordinate line, correct? In order for that to happen, the table has to move left.

Not sure if it helps, but I believe all of the keys in the center of the keypad for +/- XYZAB all have directional arrows. Focus more on the arrow and not the +/-, hopefully that might help you out. That will be more in line with the actions of a power feed for the manual mills.

Good luck and keep at it.

I spent my last several years before self employment as an instructor of machinists in the Third World.
    We did have 1 Bridgeport clone with a power feed, but only on the knee.

I spent a lot of hours teaching guys about grids, cartesian coordinates, machining concepts, etc, and this would have made that exponentially more difficult.

The drill is : Where is your spindle going? Where do you want your spindle to be? Where is your spindle?

Not where is the table?....

It was hard enough to get minds to wrap around the concept of just having X and Z on a lathe.

I can see it now.
    I know I just spent months teaching you about Cartesian positioning, now ignore all that and push the button on the opposite side of the keypad to get there.

I know that every time I try to explain what I do and show someone how I cut parts (like at a bar with friends), I end up using my finger to move over and around objects.

Then, after I have explained all of that, I have to say: "Oh, and the table moves not the tool!"

We spend our whole time thinking about how that tool is going to move, but in reality-----it never does!!

Mike

I'm guessing then, in answer to my original question, the answer is No, I can't invert the buttons?

And does anyone know how they are configured in a gantry mill?

I will side with HayreAss on this one.

I have never run a Haas mill but every mill I have run in handle you spin the hand wheel clockwise (there is an arrow with a big plus sign) and the axis position moves positive.
    Go to jog and push the button with the plus sign and thing move in the same direction.
    When I am doing a setup or writing a program I become the part and visualize the cutter moving around me.
    Same when flying an RC airplane.

Sounds like Haas is the one that is trying to change the world over to what they think is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre' B View Post
    Sounds like Haas is the one that is trying to change the world over to what they think is best.
    Yes, they are.

However, the buttons are labeled correctly, they are just in the wrong spot.

Pushing X+ move the cutter positive, it's just on the wrong side of the keypad.

I doubt this will change the feature, but you may want to check the setting that switches the sign of coordinates used for work offsets. I just now got out the manual but I can't find the setting, I'll have to look later. The reason I bring it up is that there's a setting that controls the sign of work offset coordinates in reference to machine zero, whether they're positive numbers or negative numbers.

Basically one way resembles a typical coordinate system, the other way "thinks" like the table movements. I know it's adjustable since we use both options on the student machines, so they are forced to think about which way to compensate for edgefinders/etc. I don't know if it'll make any difference for the jog buttons since I've never tried, but hey..

I think the one Ydna is referring to is "NEG WORK OFS" parameter?

I guess I am going to have to remove the panel, and see if I can physically move the buttons.

Is there really no one who knows how they are configured on a router or gantry?

I guess I am going to have to remove the panel, and see if I can physically move the buttons.

Is there really no one who knows how they are configured on a router or gantry?
    I hope you do not ever plan on selling this machine. I would not buy it for the price you would want with it altered from the original configuration.

PLEASE, just resign yourself to reality and learn to use it the way it was designed. You will mess up the machine for everyone else who could ever use it.

It moves in the correct directions for everything you do with that handle and buttons. Everything else, just add or subtract from the offset pages etc. It all works!

You can learn it.

I will be surprised if you can modify the key functions because they are all mounted on a big pc board.

Why don't you stop fighting yourself and just buckle down and learn how to use the machine?

P.S. I suggest you never take a vacation in Europe and rent an automobile. They drive on the wrong side of the road.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

And, if you do start cutting wires and changing solder connections, don't forget the Z axis ones. That will really get the next owner pissed!

Page 1 of 4 123