586,108 active members*
2,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > How to make Riveted Vias, Perfect PCBs with Toner Transfer

How to make Riveted Vias, Perfect PCBs with Toner Transfer

I've been working on an A3987 stepper driver board, and have figured a way to make copper riveted Vias. This allows for very good thermal transfer to the bottom side of the board.

Rivets are made using a special cutter (inexpensive, available at Amazon) with a DIY spacer inserted into it so you can produce consistent sized rivets, with square cut ends.

I describe this at paulwanamaker.wordpress.com I will be adding a couple more pictures.

I also have an article about making perfect PCBs using the Toner Transfer Method.

Enjoy!

Interesting method thank you very much for sharing.
    Thank You.

There was a recent post on this forum that suggested using HP glossy presentation paper (IIRC) for toner transfer:

HP Laser Presentation Paper, Glossy, 8 1/2" x 11", 32 lb., Ream | Staples®

I notice from your list that you have tried one type of HP paper, but was it the same as the above or different?

Doorknob;
    The HP paper I used was different: HP Brochure Paper #Q6611A.
    I have updated the page, thanks.

If you try the Glossy Presentation Paper let us know how it goes. You want a completely clean release. Otherwise you are better off buying some Press-n-peel for near the same amount, or making your own.

I will post how to make the paper tonight on my website tonight.

I have updated the page about DIY Copper Via Rivets at PaulWanamaker.Wordpress.Com to include pictures of the cutter with the spacer used to make the copper rivets.

I have added a page about making your own dextrin coated transfer paper for the toner transfer method.

The results look very good. I use the HP Presentation paper mentioned above.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...t_results.html

It resulted in perfect transfers also, but mine had a white coating on the toner. Perhaps I ran it through the laminator too many times. Others reported that theirs transfer clean.