586,082 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Software / Hardware question Mach3

I am about to purchase Mach3 and noticed the stipulations for 32bit computer and 64bit computer. My computer is 64bit running 64b AutoCad/Revit MEP and BobCad. My machine I am building, I bought the Gecko G540 and 4 - Nema 23 steppers from cncrouterparts (4 axis kit).

Here is my questions:

1. If I install on 64bit machine I must buy an additional controller because that is what Mach3 says. I am new to this so if I need an additional part how do I use with my Gecko G540?

2. If I salvage a 32bit machine I have just to run Mach3 at the machine, then I do not need anything additional for my G540.

Sorry, just confused a little and have not found anything about it.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance. Much appreciated.

cncnewbie68,

The G540 requires Mach3 with 32 bit Windoz attached to a EPP certified parallel port.

Mach3 will run on 64 bit Windoz with a external motion controller such as a Galil product.

Welcome - Galil: We Move The World

If you where running analog servo's then spending big bucks on a external motion controller makes sense.

For more detailed information please p.m. your phone number.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by cncnewbie68 View Post
    1. If I install on 64bit machine I must buy an additional controller because that is what Mach3 says. I am new to this so if I need an additional part how do I use with my Gecko G540?
    usually, controllers have outputs similar to standard LPT. You just connect G540 to controller, controller to PC.

2. If I salvage a 32bit machine I have just to run Mach3 at the machine, then I do not need anything additional for my G540.
    Yes, but controllers(if it stable) can bring you some advantages which cannot be achieved with PC. Since we've developed plcm, we do not use LPT.
    Purelogic RnD

Quote Originally Posted by cncnewbie68 View Post
    I am about to purchase Mach3 and noticed the stipulations for 32bit computer and 64bit computer. My computer is 64bit running 64b AutoCad/Revit MEP and BobCad. My machine I am building, I bought the Gecko G540 and 4 - Nema 23 steppers from cncrouterparts (4 axis kit).

Here is my questions:

Sorry, just confused a little and have not found anything about it.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance. Much appreciated.
    I may be wrong but I think just the "operating system" has to be 32bit. So you really don't need to salvage an old computer, just run a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine. I think???

Mike

Well what I decided to do is leave my 64b machine with dual monitor setup in the garage for any last minute CAD or gcode creations/changes. I have an old 32b machine that I will actually setup on my CNC machine table to run the machine separate. This way the only thing on the machine is the OS and Mach3.

Thanks for everyones help. Now I just need to decide where/how to mount the monitor for the machine.