586,121 active members*
3,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > UG NX > get G-code for cnc glass cutter (which tool tp select)

get G-code for cnc glass cutter (which tool tp select)

hi guyz...
    i want to get gcode for a cnc glass cutter. but at manufacturing which tool to select in CAM programming process?
    i looked at every menu .. there are lots of type of cutter but i am not able to see any kind of glass cutters...
    plz help me find a proper solution friends

I have programmed water jet and torch cutting machines using NX in the past. I used planer mill operation with a tool that represented the size of the cut. We always created the tool path with an ON boundary. This way the center of the tool path was the resulting cut motion. I would think that the tool size would not matter much and you would only want the cutter to follow the center of the geometry. Either the Planer mill using the profile cut pattern , or planer profile operation should give you the tool path you need.
    John Joyce -NC Programming Supervisor
    Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT

Quote Originally Posted by camster View Post
    I have programmed water jet and torch cutting machines using NX in the past. I used planer mill operation with a tool that represented the size of the cut. We always created the tool path with an ON boundary. This way the center of the tool path was the resulting cut motion. I would think that the tool size would not matter much and you would only want the cutter to follow the center of the geometry. Either the Planer mill using the profile cut pattern , or planer profile operation should give you the tool path you need.
    yes my friend ... i know that i can do this with planner... but the problem is.. cnc glass cutter works as a "radium sticker cutter" http://solsense.in/yahoo_site_admin/...0907_large.jpg
    in this type of machine the cutter needs to be constantly rotated in the direction of cutting.. so i m going to make a cnc glass cutter by my self but i dont know how to get code for the tool rotaion..

You can create a User Defined tool in NX and use it in a planar profile operation. The advantage is this will allow you to use a "tracking point" and output the tool path from the tracking point. Not sure if this will help or not.
    Now I am curious
    Is the rotation of the cutter a code that is entered or does it swivel freely based on the cut direction?
    John Joyce -NC Programming Supervisor
    Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT

If you use cutcom in the path, then the post should have enough information to calculate the direction. You may need to do some math, but I think its possible.

To me this is similar to programming a jig grinder, where the head needs to remain normal to the cut direction, or the old PQ cutcom, where direction vectors were outpout directly in the G code.
    Mark Rief
    Siemens PLM