586,610 active members*
3,545 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Getting ready to do my first Aluminum cutting Have questions!!

Getting ready to do my first Aluminum cutting Have questions!!

Hey guys!

I have a Torchmate 2x2 machine setup with a router. I am getting ready to start cutting some small aluminum parts. I know the machine isn't ideal for the work but it's what I have and what I could afford. I will be using 1/16",1/8" and 1/4" cutters. I'm looking for some advice for feeds/speeds and coolant. I have a water table underneath the machine and I'm getting ready to order a vacuum table. I plan on using flood coolant but am always open to suggestions for that also.

In other words could you guys give me some machining for idiots advice?

The advice you seek is all over these forums. Get busy reading.

Did you get the "Routermate" gantry for it?

Because you need some way to lift the head in and out of the cut. Here's a link to it (no pictures in that link you provided): Routermate by Torchmate CNC Cutting Systems.

They seem to indicate that this will cut aluminum, so that's a good thing. Did you get any CAD/CAM software, or are you hand-coding all this? It's important to provide "bridges" between all the parts you're cutting out, so that they aren't cut loose to cause mischief. Some CAM programs will let you create them semi-automatically, in others you have to build them into the models.

With metals, it's important to ramp into a cut, since most endmills don't drill too well. It's always most difficult when you're cutting a slot the width of the tool, since the tool is cutting on both sides, not just one. Go very slowly for this type of cut. Flood cooling is nice, but many of us get by with occasional squirts of WD-40 and a lot of chip-brushing. It's important to get the chips out of the cut, since re-cutting them will cause problems. The most important thing is to hold the material down securely, since if it starts vibrating or pulling up, it will trash your cutter quickly, not to mention the part. Vacuum tables are great for holding sheet material, but not so good for small parts, which need to be clamped down firmly if you want to keep them from flying away.

Most cutting tool manufacturers will have chipload recommendations for you; plug them into a formula to give you feeds and speeds, but remember that those formulas were made with big heavy-duty mills in mind. For your router, you'll want to derate the feedrates and depth of cut by about half. Start with your biggest cutters, and when you're not breaking them anymore, go on to the next smaller size.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Yes I have the Z-axis for my machine. I have a 1HP router for a spindle at the moment. I also purchased the touch probe which came with RhinoCad/Cam.

My single biggest recommendation is to get G-Wizard. It is a fantastic program for calculating feed and speeds. Since you are using such small bits, pay very close attention to tool deflection. High tool deflection = broken bits. If the deflection number is colored orange, don't even consider running it, your tool will break.
    My next recommendation is to spend a lot of time reading up CNC Machinists Cookbook: Software and Information
    Lots of great info.
    Good luck, have fun!

G-Wizard

+ 1 on G-Wizard ... highly recommended. We've been using it since its origination in both of our shops. In the 48 yrs my company has been in the biz of making chips, G-wizard has proven to be the best Cut calculator ever used. Even my rookie machinist has stopped breaking end-mills
    Respects,
    Tom - AMS
    Specializing in Performance Parts for Harley-Davidson
    1-800-210-8675