586,075 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: GHQ engines

Unhappy GHQ engines

I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to some info on the GHQ engine.
    I've heard alot of negative about them, but looking for some history.
    I think they were a do it yourself kit engine pre-1950 something? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by T.L.A.R. eng
    I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to some info on the GHQ engine.
    I've heard alot of negative about them, but looking for some history.
    I think they were a do it yourself kit engine pre-1950 something? Anyone?
    They were troublesome to say the least. Do a web search. There are many places that have tidbits of unfavorable history on these. Some ran very well with the right TLC and hap-hazard quality in the same package. Put out around 1936 to about the mid 50's I think. Started at about a $1.50 and ended near $6-8. Mostly sold in the back of hobby mag's. There used to be kits sold as a replica not too long ago.

If you can do searches that include (GHQ + "model engines") or the like. You should have reasonable luck in wringing out something useful.

The consensus was that these made better paper weights than model airplane engines.....

DC

thanks for the info One Of Many, I've searched alot and it does seem everyone who has had experience with them that they did'nt put out much power if they ran at all.
    Hamilton Upshur wrote an article in strictly I.C. no.76 that was interesting, but I'm still searching for more history. Someday I would like to own one for my engine collection.

GHQ engines

Quote Originally Posted by T.L.A.R. eng View Post
    thanks for the info One Of Many, I've searched alot and it does seem everyone who has had experience with them that they did'nt put out much power if they ran at all.
    Hamilton Upshur wrote an article in strictly I.C. no.76 that was interesting, but I'm still searching for more history. Someday I would like to own one for my engine collection.
    Saw your post and would suggest that you join a club I belong to called MECA
    which is model engine collectors , I just saw a GHQ in there. If you need the contact info e-mail me at [email protected]. They charge 39.00 ayear and you get a swap sheet every month. Chris