586,065 active members*
4,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > You CAN make holes smaller...

You CAN make holes smaller...

I saw these on Micro Mark's site, and HAD to have them.... I tried out the idea with some spare ball bearings before I bought them.... worked like a charm!

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82390

BTW, I also bought the micro drill press:

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82959

It looks good when I unpacked it, but I'll know more after I try it out. I got it because I have a tiny shop, and do lots of 1/8" holes.

-Jeff

been doing that for years, only with the taper on a center punch.

JP

Hey jpmach,
    I must admit I have never tried drilling 1/8" holes with a center punch!! Done some other silly stuff though. Ahh just kidding.

The ball bearing trick works very well when you are testing a tapped hole with a no-go guage and it just goes right in, thats when the heart rate really starts to race.

Just place a suitable size ball in the hole and keep hitting untill the no-go is just right. This was taught to me as an apprentice by the inspector in our toolroom!

I used to work for the defence force where EVERYTHING was inspected.

Cheers M

SHHHH don't let that one out. Its definitly something you don't want to get caught doing. It does work rather well though. The problem is the hole is still the same size, but now it measures good.

Quick story about a year ago, we had a one off casting and a bearing hole was about .002 big, trailer ball on the top, trailer ball on the bottom and a hydraulic press worked pretty good.

bubba, glad you didn't have to explain how cracked it! I would be chicken to try that with say cast iron, but others are more malleable I guess