586,075 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Engraving, what tool on 3 axis mill

Engraving, what tool on 3 axis mill

Hello,

I'm looking to add my company logo to parts I make on my 3 axis CNC mill. What is the best tool to use?

Something like this?

4mm SOLID CARBIDE 70 DEGREE ENGRAVING / CHAMFERING TOOL GBR NEW AND BOXED | eBay

If the above is correct, what speed/feed should I be running in aluminium and steel?

Regards
    Ricky

I use ball endmills. Although you have a limited range of usable width, I like the finish better. The one I use most is a 1/16" ball endmill. You can cut small enough width for characters as small as about 1/4" and larger, depending on "weight" of character (line width). Not to mention you can run 2 or 4 flute so you can feed it harder than a single flute engraving tool. Spin it as fast as you want in aluminum and feed accordingly

As for small chamfering, I use 90 degree point drill mills.

I've tried that, but i'm struggling to spin it fast enough I think. I cannot get a good finish in aluminium. My max spindle speed is 3000rpm's. I've been feeding at approx 50mm per min with a 2 flute 3mm end mill.

For line engraving I use a Taegutec 1mm carbide ball end running at 3500rpm, F30 plunge & F60 run in ally. 2x passes to engrave 1mm deep then fill with paint.

V bits aren't much use to you, they need 1000's of rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    For line engraving I use a Taegutec 1mm carbide ball end running at 3500rpm, F30 plunge & F60 run in ally. 2x passes to engrave 1mm deep then fill with paint.

V bits aren't much use to you, they need 1000's of rpm.
    I'm using a 3mm at the same feed and speed doing a 1mm cut deep cut. Using flood coolant. But get a terrible finish. I thought I needed a fast speed. Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickylee53 View Post
    I'm using a 3mm at the same feed and speed doing a 1mm cut deep cut. Using flood coolant. But get a terrible finish. I thought I needed a fast speed. Maybe not.
    If it can work for you, larger ball endmill and less depth for the same line width may make it cleaner. I run a 1/16" (approx. 1.5mm) mostly at .006" deep (.15mm).

If you don't need the depth, try a 6mm ball at .4mm deep.

And make it a 4 flute

Had much better results today using a 2mm ball nose cutter at 0.2mm depth, running 3500 rpm's and F30 plunge and F100 feed.