586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Large qty of 3d contoured wood like parts

Hello All,

I'm searching for a machine shop to assist me in a project that involves 3 axis CNC surface milling of very small wood like parts. The part is about 76 mm long and about 7mm wide) The Z height tolerances need to be pretty good--probably +/- 0.0005".

Currently I can make 4-5 per hour using my single spindle setup (single 20Krpm proxxon) and am in the midst of preparing a multiple spindle fixture to allow me to make more in shorter time. The new fixture fits in a 3/4" collet and is clamped to the quill. It is currently mounted in an Industrial Hobbies mill.

Once I demonstrate feasibility with the multiple spindle fixture, I would like to approach a machine shop (preferably in the Boston or Philadelphia area but anywhere is workable) with the goal of hiring the shop to produce a larger batch of parts than I would want to make on my own. I would be willing to share/adapt my spindle fixture design/jigging such that it could fit on your mill. For now let's say batches of 1000, with a starter test batch of 50-100 so that we can get any kinks worked out.

The fixture currently holds 4-8 electric die grinders (20,000rpm proxxon spindles ). Other spindles could probably also be used (pencil grinder perhaps)

Once the spindle fixture is mounted, there are no tool changes, so this may be a good opportunity to use a CNC Bridgeport that's not getting enough use. It should be relatively easy to make a fixture plate that holds multiple parts (16-32?)

I would welcome suggestions and/or referrals. I can offer more information with a confidential disclosure agreement.

-Matt

Could you send a file?

Matthew Weaver
    Back Country Machining
    [email protected]

R K TECH MANUFACTURING LLC

Send file to :
    [email protected]
    Thank you

Hello Matt,

Please send drawings to [email protected]

Thank you!