586,443 active members*
2,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Looking For CNC Help?

Hello im sorry if this is a re-post but im a newbie and im looking for a good cnc router machine 2x2 or somwhere around that size.

Im not looking for something to expensive, I would like to get something plug and play. Im gonna be using the machine for thin G10 material around 2mm thick.

If you guys can point me in the right direction i would relly apprciate it

Thank You for your time..:drowning:

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk24 View Post
    Hello im sorry if this is a re-post but im a newbie and im looking for a good cnc router machine 2x2 or somwhere around that size.

Im not looking for something to expensive, I would like to get something plug and play. Im gonna be using the machine for thin G10 material around 2mm thick.

If you guys can point me in the right direction i would relly apprciate it

Thank You for your time..:drowning:
    Budget?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by flojor10 View Post
    Do you have a budget in mind?
    Yes i would like to stay under $3000

Have you looked at the CNC Router Parts stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Have you looked at the CNC Router Parts stuff?
    No i haven't i dont even know what to look for in parts, that's why i would like something built already.

I know you said your budget is $3000 and this is nearly twice that, but if I were looking for a ready to run desktop CNC router I'd look at the ShopBot Desktop here: ShopBot Desktop

No i haven't i dont even know what to look for in parts, that's why i would like something built already.
    They sell kits! They have all the parts needed, Ahren is a member here as well. But if it was already built, turnkey, it wouldn't be DIY then, and at the size you want it would probably be about two to three times your budget for a turnkey system.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    I know you said your budget is $3000 and this is $5000, but if I were looking for a ready to run desktop CNC router I'd look at the ShopBot Desktop here: ShopBot Desktop
    That looks like a nice one, but it is pricey. A $100 markup for a Porter Cable router? And becoming a part of the ShopBot cult?

Thanks for all the help guys.. I came across this machine here

click here

Is that a good deal?

Depends on what you're doing. For light work it might be fine. But there was another person here who bought a similar machine and was having problems. The unsupported rails, single bearing blocks, smallish gantry risers all add up to a machine that will flex under load, unless you're taking very very light cuts... and that gets old pretty fast!

https://probotix.com/FireBall_Comet_cnc_router/

That's the best I can think of for a truly turn-key option that is 2'x2'. After shipping, dust collection, software, bits, ect I think you're looking at closer to $4000 though.

You should also look into the K2CNC machines. Ecommerce Templates - Virtual Silver Probably a bit more expensive than the Comet though.

If $3000 is your absolute ceiling, I think you need to look into kits. I'm not sure if FLA is better with their customer service/delivery time, but the FLA-100 is probably perfect for you. I'd also look into contacting CNCRouterParts. Maybe they'd be willing to do a smaller kit for you.

hello thehawk24,

i too am a complete newbie in cnc'ing... been dreaming about this since i've discovered this site back in 2006...

while i thought the plug in play package would have been sufficient, seems that many folks who start off that way, upgrade to a DIY machine that is stronger and whatnot.

i decided to go with a CRP2448 from cncrouterparts. it is not a stock size, but if you contact them, Ahren will be more than happy to give you a quote in the size you want.

i believe my package comes a bit shy of $3000 at the moment...

good luck!

Have you looked at fineline automation?

https://www.finelineautomation.com/store/show/FLA100-00

Be advised some here have had problems getting their stuff in a timely manner. I purchased a 4 axis stepper kit from them and had no problems with my order. They use a lot of CNC router parts stuff. Best thing is everything is pre cut for you all ya do is put it together.

Going to throw in my vote for a kit. You'll get a decient setup within your budget. Shouldn't take you long to assemble/calibrate and that experience should pay off in itself. You'll be able to trouble shoot potential issues with the knowledge of how your cnc was designed.

What material are you going to be cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by flojor10 View Post
    What material are you going to be cutting?
    He mentioned G10 which is a type of fibreglass. Popular for knife handles.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    He mentioned G10 which is a type of fibreglass. Popular for knife handles.
    It's a fiberglass-based phenolic; stinks like crazy when cut, and murder on tools... And a test of machine toughness. I'm currently processing 3/8" sheets for a client, and experimenting with differrent endmills to improve edge quality and reduce cycle times somewhat. I have some PCD endmills which should last, as well a a PCD drill bit and some fiberglass burr router bits to try as well.

Ok guys after all your help i think im gonna go with the fla-100 from fine line designs with motors and software mach3 everything!.

Would that be a good machine?

Ok guys after all your help i think im gonna go with the fla-100 from fine line designs with motors and software mach3 everything!.

Would that be a good machine?
    Before you buy, read up on FLA. It should answer your questions plus some you didn't even know to ask.

Page 1 of 2 12