586,388 active members*
3,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is a spindle warmup necessary?

I've been wondering if a spindle warmup is necessary for these spindles. I run one, because I'd rather be safe than sorry. And it gives me time to finish my morning coffee. But I was wondering if it's really necessary, or if I'm just taking life off of my spindle for no reason.

Frederic

TXFred

No it is not necessary when bearings are using grease as the lubrication,& not running over 5,000 RPM, when using oil yes you need to use a warm up program

If you are going to start the spindle out at more than 5,000 RPM to 10,000 RPM then you would want to run a warm up program
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    I've been wondering if a spindle warm up is necessary for these spindles. I run one, because I'd rather be safe than sorry. And it gives me time to finish my morning coffee. But I was wondering if it's really necessary, or if I'm just taking life off of my spindle for no reason.

Frederic
    Frederic

I do run 3-5 minute warm up just because I do it with the Hass machine. Just my 3 cents. I do the x-y and z to slow to fast about a feed of 60 and back down to feed of 5.

Carl Boe

Quote Originally Posted by carlboe View Post
    Frederic

I do run 3-5 minute warm up just because I do it with the Hass machine. Just my 3 cents. I do the x-y and z to slow to fast about a feed of 60 and back down to feed of 5

Carl Boe
    I agree, start the spindle and move all x, y and z for a warm up.

Just my 2

I started doing one because I noticed that if I didn't, my XY zero *seemed* to move after I ran my first job. From a layman's view, this made some sense because the mill could be quite cold but usually warmed up after the first program finished (not only from the mill operating, the the room would be warmer in general - body heat, compressor going, etc). So now I run a warmup program for 10 minutes.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

30 years ago working 3rd shift in a machine shop our job starting the week was to start all the machines manual and cnc. I still let my manuals warm up a little, even though I keep my shop 68-72 degrees. Also that cup of coffee to get in the zone to work, beats rushing into a job. Years ago I had a 81 cnc lathe, if it didnt get its 20 minute warm it be a pain all day. Me just out of habbit I will just give my 1100 a 5 minute warm up. Gotta have my coffee.

I do quick parts on cold (and I do mean cold, 50-60 deg in the winter) machine for years with no problem. Never have warmed it up, never even knew to try. I do make sure it gets a healthy pump of waylube, a little extra when it's cold.