586,375 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > To die or not to dye? Vent for the day

To die or not to dye? Vent for the day

Lately I have come across the use of the word Dye as in Tool and dye maker, even company names of the same.
    To me the word has always been Die not Dye, which I would naturally assume was someone engaged in the fabric industry?
    Maybe it is a further indication of falling education standards, especially in written word?
    Another I have always thought was wrong is the word Brake, to describe a mechanical Break machine?
    When you bend metal you place a 'break' in it, so why brake which is something else completely?
    Anyway I am off out to buy a Tap & 'Dye' set.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Or donut. What the hell happened to the dough?

Brake is lots of something elses, have a look here: brake - definition of brake by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

But I wasn't able to find anything about a Shooting Brake.

Here is die: die - definition of die by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

And dye: dye - definition of dye by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

And there is no overlap between these two.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    But I wasn't able to find anything about a Shooting Brake.
    A Shooting Brake or Estate Wagon (woody wagon) is/was used on estates owned by the British Gentry, usually associated with Pheasant shoots etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

Unless it's an Aston Martin Shooting Brake. That thing was more at home at Lemans than chauffeuring grouse home after the hunt.LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    Unless it's an Aston Martin Shooting Brake. That thing was more at home at Lemans than chauffeuring grouse home after the hunt.LOL

Dick Z
    I was on a job site once where a pipe fitter and his crew (3 sons) showed up daily in a Rolls Royce Shooting Brake with all the pipe fitting equipment in the back!.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Probably sites like this that promote the miss spelling of Break! Depends who write the Dictionary? Where do the get their 'verified' information from? :violin:
    Al.

Albert E.

We can thank our education system and the increasingly popular social opinion that we should only expect mediocracy from our youth and will settle for even less. You must demand excellence if you expect to receive it. If they are not meeting expectations they need to work harder. Saying "good enough" to keep them from getting their feelings hurt is not helping anyone.

I work with college students (engineering) almost every day.
    Almost none can do fractions beyond 1/4's.
    Even half of .625 is a real brain bender without the help of an iphone.
    Never used a shop vac?
    Never used a cordless drill?

The list goes on.......

Sad, sad slope we are on
    Matt

If you have a stamping die and a thread die, do you now have dice?

tool and dye maker ?
    Tulip Tie Dye Tools

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    If you have a stamping die and a thread die, do you now have dice?
    Dies I believe
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    The list goes on.......

Sad, sad slope we are on
    Matt
    I just hope and pray that the examples seen on 'Jaywalking' are the exception!!
    Al.

Albert E.

The people at my work can quote you the names of just about all the sports men and women and can relay almost any event to you and yet they can't spell to save themselves. To make a word into a plural you just need to add an apostrophe and an "s".
    Yep, they DONE it THERE way them PLAYER'S. What was that about a downward slope?

Sir Al,it is of utter most importance to look at the american dictionary as well as that of the english dicionary and one word out of many springs to mind and that is 'Color' this word is inappropriately spelt wrong in the american dictionary and should be spelt 'Colour'

Now to my word of the day and its mispelt interpretation and that is...'Business',now if we pronounce that word verbally it is pronounced as Bus..i..ness and should be corrected and spelt as 'Buisness'

Well thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.

“Be it upon your own heads”
    To you our American friends as you are guilty of corrupting the English language more than others!!
    Examples are, Doable for achievable, adding “like” to the beginning of a sentence, over use of acronyms (my favourite SNAFU) need I go on.

TTFN

Mike

HorridHenry,
    I'd have to disagree with you about the dictionaries. It's true that the Americans don't spell colour and many other words as per our (UK English) dictionary however we must remember that that's not the dictionary they use. As a reference they have their US English version dictionary.
    Regarding pronunciations, I think all the English speaking countries do a good job of hacking up the English language. Take "Worcestershire" for example. We knock a whole syllable out of the word and it ends up sounding something like "Woostershire". Go figure!

Woostershire
    That depends on how each part of the british isles dialect speaks verbally,it actually was pronounced wusta ra shire in the early centuries.

You have to blame it on the Norse,Romans, and anyone else that tried to take the British Ilse.

Written by an English teacher (in England): -

"Could of done better"

DP

Do you know what school and the name of teacher? and I will get her/him sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by christinandavid View Post

"Could of done better"

DP
    a few weeks ago a teacher sent my 8 yr old daughter home with some spelling homework , in the teachers note it said double check your speling
    luckily the teacher was only a short term sub

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........