586,589 active members*
2,556 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Welded 4 x 10

Been reading and watching here for a long time and since its a bit slow at work i decided to finally start. Side rails are 3 x 6 7ga and the cross beams are 4 x 4 x 10 ga. Leveled everything up and im dead square cross corner. My problem now is the top running surfaces are not even close to level due to the cupping of the tubing. Was thinking of going with epoxy but id thought i poll and see what my best options are. Thanks
    dave

If the side rails are level (but warped) clamp a small piece of 10 gauge on each side and the ends. Have the top edge up a little more that the highest point on the warp. Then fill with epoxy and let it flow to a straight level surface. You could then remove the 10 gauge strips for mounting your rails. There is a company that makes this epoxy to use on floors. Their example showed a tapered ramp forming a square with the epoxy filled in the middle for a "perfectly level" surface for building race cars. I do not have the URL handy but I am sure it will only take a little searching to find it.

Good luck, looks like a great start.

What are you using for your rails?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...l_monster.html
    This member used epoxy to level the tubes
    Test Bed
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

An oldie but goodie... read how he leveled the rails (and joints...):

MadVac CNC - home made 4'x8' cnc precision gantry router

You can do many things.

Leveling with epoxy has been posted.

Leveling by mounting and leveling steel to the frame. Then mounting to that.

Simply using mounted steel as the rail via V-grove bearings or Ahern's carriages.

Going with cold rolled and Aherns carriages.Unfortunately they are back ordered. So now as i wait for my leveling pads, carriages, and epoxy to come in thought a coat of primer might cheer me up.

Cold rolled made it in this morning. The 6 x 3 tubing for my main rails looked like it was ridden hard and put away wet, should have sent it back. So i ordered from another vendor.
    Ordered 3 12 ft lengths.In 12 feet they are bowed 1/2" the strong way. Not quite sure what the problem is with the steel suppliers in my area lately. These are vendors i have been using for years but lately the price is out of sight(over $1.00 a lb for 1018) and the quality is awful.
    This time it is going back. Hopefully they find some better stock somewhere. Anyone have similar experiences lately?