586,655 active members*
3,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

choosing the correct epoxy resin

Good Evening Group;

I'm very close to the epoxy Resin part of my build. I consulted the bill of materials page of my plans for a supplier. I've looked at polymer products and e-bay providers and now am confused. I looked at dozens of resin products, but could not find one that states the "600 cps" that's needed. Maybe my eyes are just worn out looking at too many pages. can anybody make it easy on me and let me know a source and/or model number that the group has used with success? I would be grateful for the info.

Thanks in advance
    Jerrywi

I used the stuff from Michael's. I think it was called Clear Cast or Easy Cast or something like that. Hobby Lobby probably has the same thing. I could not find a vis.# for it either. It flowed out great. I read some reviews on it and all of the failures were due to not mixing it up enough, so I mixed it up for a full 2+ minutes, poured it out, spread it around a little and watched for the little bubbles. If you breathe on a bubble, it will pop. The carbon dioxide in your breath does it. A propane touch would probably work, too. After the bubbles were gone, I covered it up to keep the dust & bugs off and let it sit for 2 days. It turned out great.
    I don't make mistakes ... I make 'unintended engineering design changes'.

ref772;

I appreciate the quick response. We have a Michaels not too far from us. I will make a trip this weekend.

Thanking you again
    Jerrywi

Hay Jerry here is some links to 600 CPS epoxy.CPS is the viscosity which is very thin in this case
    Larry
    Laminating Epoxy System - Fast (5 Gallon, 2 1/2 Gallon Hardener) - $275.00
    Epoxy :*Epoxy Resins and Hardeners
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Thanks Larry. I appreciate the feed back
    Jerry

I used this on both my original machine, and the 2nd version (which I just poured a couple of days ago.) It is a bit pricey, but its nice high quality resin:

MAS Epoxy Resin

It is 550-650cps when mixed with hardener. I used their slow hardener. I also set the resin and hardener containers in a bucket of very hot water for a while to bring its temperature up to around 90-95 degrees. Mixed it quickly, poured, and it flowed out perfectly smooth and flat.

I poured both machines with the one quart of resin and one pint of hardener. So I used about 24 fluid ounces of mixed epoxy per bed.

I actually have some of that resin from Michael's around, that I've never used for anything. I should do a test pour one of these days to see how it compares to the expensive stuff. It looks fairly thin and runny in the container.

-Bob

I think the MAS is a little bit cheaper at goodboatgear.com (free ground shipping).

I poured mine a few days ago. I like the idea of heating it up first.

I don't think I got mine mixed as well as I should have. The surface is not as smooth in some areas, and I did miss a few bubbles. I think it will still work okay.

Good morning Group;

Thank you all for the numerous locations and product lines to choose from.
    you all have made my searching painless.

Thanks
    jerrywi

I just did the epoxy pour on my machine, I must say it easier that I ever expected.

fantastic job! Looks like you laid down a piece of glass