586,100 active members*
2,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 6 1234
    Alright, post pics here when your done.

Sent using Tapatalk...

sure will. ive got some doming epoxy resin sitting around too ill use and do a write up on which one works better :wee:

Nice find B-RAD! I gotta get me one of these. So how did you wire it up?

Cheers,
    Marty

Cheers for the idea brad just ordered one from eBay cheap but will see how it goes,
    Thanks
    Riche

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Rads light looks very nice but the idea has been around for quite a while.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/642612-post725.html

and another from a yahoo group.

Still very nicely done though B-Rad. :cheers:
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Ebay has these rings cheap enough to where I can purchase cheaper then I can make them. I'd prefer not re-inventing the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    Nice find B-RAD! I gotta get me one of these. So how did you wire it up?

Cheers,
    Marty

Sent using Tapatalk...

Your lights here yet? Lol, going to take 3 weeks from china!

Sent using Tapatalk...

Quote Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post
    Your lights here yet? Lol, going to take 3 weeks from china!

Sent using Tapatalk...
    Those sellers i posted on ebay are in the US buddy, LOL.

So they say

Sent using Tapatalk...

Yeeeeaaaaaaa............ =/

I made this one a few years ago. Just a quick photo etch for a prototype with 3mm leds. Have not fired it up in a few years and one led strings is now dead. It fits around the spindle and is to be mounted on the plastic ring on the spindles underside.

Here is the non-mirrored circuit traces.

At about 10-12" it produces around 500 lumens. Have no idea the specs on the LEDs I used back then. Not as bright as the Cre LEDs on the ring lights in the eBay auctions.

:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post

Don't look as Quality to me.

Sent using Tapatalk...
    And you are quite right. Someone is comparing apples to oranges from lack of knowledge.

Your find is based on 5050 try-leds and will be very bright. Three leds in a package twice the size of a 3825 led. Others mentioned are 3528. Do not compared this to the 5050 try-leds. The 3825 led are a single small unit and will never provide the light of the 5050 try-leds.

A pair of 80mm angel eye rings with 24, 5050 try-leds are 15$ even from China. Add to this the Epoxy doming resin, the UV device to cure the resin (without UV curing the stuff gels too fast and does not offer as good control of the end result). Add the fact @ 21$ a pop for the resin you are in the 30$ ball park.

So all in all this is an excellent find that will provide plenty of light to the work area and is allready in a sealed package and simple to wire up.

I was looking at photographic led based ring lights. But most run off 4.5 to 5V and end up being bulky.

These Angel eye rings come in various diameters so getting one that fits is not all that hard.

Excellent find.

MP*10

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyPit*10 View Post
    And you are quite right. Someone is comparing apples to oranges from lack of knowledge.

Your find is based on 5050 try-leds and will be very bright. Three leds in a package twice the size of a 3825 led. Others mentioned are 3528. Do not compared this to the 5050 try-leds. The 3825 led are a single small unit and will never provide the light of the 5050 try-leds.

A pair of 80mm angel eye rings with 24, 5050 try-leds are 15$ even from China. Add to this the Epoxy doming resin, the UV device to cure the resin (without UV curing the stuff gels too fast and does not offer as good control of the end result). Add the fact @ 21$ a pop for the resin you are in the 30$ ball park.

So all in all this is an excellent find that will provide plenty of light to the work area and is allready in a sealed package and simple to wire up.

I was looking at photographic led based ring lights. But most run off 4.5 to 5V and end up being bulky.

These Angel eye rings come in various diameters so getting one that fits is not all that hard.

Excellent find.

MP*10

I make domed emblems. There is doming resin that does not need to be UV cured, it will cure in less than a day depending on area covered. Cost like $4 or $5 for a tube with enough to do a handful of lights... dunno where you get $21 each but if you have been buying it I would look somewhere else lol.

When you have that many 3528 LEDs around that small of an area they produce way more light than needed so the whole 3528 vs 5050 is a pretty moot point.

And here is a US supply of ones that use 5050 LEDs if you must have those. Only $11 and you get 2 of them!! Just gotta let him know which one you want when you buy. =D

Clickity click

Ahhh just forget it...

Sent using Tapatalk...

sorry bud, not gonna win that your $35 lights are the best deal out there

Jeremy,

An 80 mm angel eye ring will contain the same amount of 3825 or 5050 try-leds. The the substrate packaging is about the same. The 5050 try-leds are tree high power leds per package so in effect you are getting 24 X 3 leds in 80mm. But you can keep putzing about.

Provide us with a link to the epoxy doming resin for under 5$. I have never done doming before and simply searched around and found it to be an expensive venture even if you do not go the UV route.

All sources I found for 2oz bottles are asking $12 and up. 8oz 32$. Found that 21$ source on Ebay after a dirt quick search and it was a 2 part resin loaded in a gun type applicator. So again you are shooting from the hip wthout looking further than your nose. Not all resins are created equal from what I read. The wrong one will run off the edge of the world.

So pray tell where you get 4 or 5$ worth of it and in what quantity so the rest of us can profit from your wisdom.

MP*10

Moneypit, I hear crickets....

Sent using Tapatalk...

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyPit*10 View Post
    Jeremy,

An 80 mm angel eye ring will contain the same amount of 3825 or 5050 try-leds. The the substrate packaging is about the same. The 5050 try-leds are tree high power leds per package so in effect you are getting 24 X 3 leds in 80mm. But you can keep putzing about.

Provide us with a link to the epoxy doming resin for under 5$. I have never done doming before and simply searched around and found it to be an expensive venture even if you do not go the UV route.

All sources I found for 2oz bottles are asking $12 and up. 8oz 32$. Found that 21$ source on Ebay after a dirt quick search and it was a 2 part resin loaded in a gun type applicator. So again you are shooting from the hip wthout looking further than your nose. Not all resins are created equal from what I read. The wrong one will run off the edge of the world.

So pray tell where you get 4 or 5$ worth of it and in what quantity so the rest of us can profit from your wisdom.

MP*10

Ok and like i said you can get 2 of them from that link of 5050 since you have such a hard on for them.

I could buy a $20 thing of resin and still have 2 for the price BRAD paid lol

Page 2 of 6 1234