586,094 active members*
4,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 6 12345
    Getting past the drama, inside the X2 drive box is a 12v transformer and rectifier used for the tiny fan. I'm thinking it'd be an easy way to power the LED ring. I'm also cheap, so i bought the two for deal. Went with the 100mm. (33 x 5050) With all the (free) scrap aluminum and lexan laying about, I'm fully enclosing the light ring.

Here is a simple solution for everyone. Go to your local favorite automotive store, buy a tube of flowable silicone for windshields and use that!!!

I did some of my 5050 leds i use for interior automotive map and dome lights and what would you know the silicone didnt destroy them?!?!?! Guess that debunked that thought of yours.

No.... It's over time it can ruin them.

As for the 12v, I was going to look around in the box for 12vdc when I permanently wire it in. Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk...

The small transformer circuit in the X2 is 13v @ 1VA. The fan is 100ma. So that leaves you with plenty for the led ring. 24 of the 5050 tri-leds is 500ma. So you still have 40% overhead from the transformer. Should work out fine.

MP*10

Good to know! Thank you!!!

Sent using Tapatalk...

Jeremy, can I see your creation?

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

Must of gave up?

Anyways, I hope I helped a lot of you.

Quote Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post
    Must of gave up?

Anyways, I hope I helped a lot of you.
    You certainly gave me some ideas, thanks...

give up what? there is no use in me ordering one when i sold my machines.

but as i said, get em much cheaper from the link i posted and use the flowable silicone from an automotive store

B-RAD , you certainly did.

Provided a solution and the seed for options if the cost was a concern.

Good thread.

MP*10

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyPit*10 View Post
    B-RAD , you certainly did.

Provided a solution and the seed for options if the cost was a concern.

Good thread.

MP*10
    Thanks for your help on the transformer spec.

-

I hope to see others pictures of what they came up with in this thread aswell.

I received my angel eyes from China. All of 2 weeks wait and 13$ for 2 units. 80mm ring with 24 high output leds (5050). Bright as day on 12V. Needs work as the wires are holding on by a single strand one came loose in 5 minutes. So cheap they are.

The 80mm is outside diameter if anyone was wondering and is exactly the diameter of the 2 plastic spindle bearing covers on the X2 mill. So these fit right on the covers nicely.

I also, finally, found the doming resin in my neck of the woods for 17$.

One thing that came up is these cheap Chinese angel eyes have series of pass thru holes to power each group of three leds so I have 12 small holes to fill-in or the dooming resin will flow thru and out till it sets. This resin seems to be similar to the Envirotex we use in model railroading and it is known to find any small hole and flow to the floor while we use it to mimic rivers and streams. So this doming resin will probably do the same.

Let you know how it ends up.

Buying them ready made would have been a choice but I like this type of tinkering around. It is not a comment on the product at the root of this thread. I had been looking around for a solution and one I found was from the close up photography ring light. This thread help me find another option when the name Angel eyes came up.

MP*10

So 50% off, then add gas and labor...

Quote Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post
    So 50% off, then add gas and labor...
    Agreed entirely, having gone thru the exercise so far.

The 2 led rings where 13$ all told included shipping from China and since they where 13$ they came in without being taxed or dutied. They showed up at door via mailman.

For the resin, the craft store is a good walk away from here or a 10 minute drive to spend 17$ (+Tax) on the doming resin. Since this is a first time using the doming resin, it could be a flop and waste one ring (maybe 2 if I am really bad). 5$ for doming resin, never found it. silicone, not a viable option in my view; messy and not the proper item for this. Cheapest I found was 12$. add S/H and it became expensive.

The rings from China are cheap as can be and as mentioned the wires will come off easely and one did. So one must resolder them and glue them down for protection.

So add to the angel eye rings the doming resin, the proper soldering, double sided tape to attache the led ring to the bearing cover and I am on $30+.

So was it worth all the trouble. not at all. $39 is a good deal to just peel and mount your led ring from your vender. Wire it up and you are done.

So much for the great savings from China.

MP*10

35$ to your door, and get a free blue lighted switch if you ask.

Thank you for proving Jeremy wrong, I was to lazy.

Any Update MP?

Just saw this.

B-rad, Even though it has been done before, thank you for posting your solution. It looks great and the rings you linked look to be of very high quality. Don't let whiners get you down. You actually showed the work and the results instead of just talking about it.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Just saw this.

B-rad, Even though it has been done before, thank you for posting your solution. It looks great and the rings you linked look to be of very high quality. Don't let whiners get you down. You actually showed the work and the results instead of just talking about it.

Ditto, there is DYI, then there is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Between a source for a 80mmrig light that I don't have to spend half a day trying to water tight since I use mist, and the fact that the light ring can be tapped right off the fan transformer, makes the need for lighting solved real quickly.

The way I see it, will not get burnt at least twice a day from the Goose head lamp that I am now using, plus when I go to pull the stop switch to power up unit, don't have to fiddle with another switch as well.

Did you order one? They are great that's for sure.

Page 3 of 6 12345