586,103 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool Breakage Detection options

Hello all,

We have a 72 tool Mazak J-300 machine (vid attached) that we'd like to install a tool breakage detection system on. The requirements would be as follows;

1) cost as LITTLE cycle time as possible. (Hopefully mounted at tool change door so detection occurs at rapid during the actual tool change cycle).

2) Detection controlled by tool & by operator. (We should easily be able to do this through a combination of a TC macro & some element of Tool Data definition).

3) Robust, reliable, low maintenance, resistant to coolant & chip issues, etc...

We are considering the Renishaw TRS2 but are aware of some possible issues that may arise. Does anyone have any suggestions of any other possibilities we should consider?

Recently someone posted a link to Bigc.com in reference to this subject (I beleive), but I couldn't find that thread back. I'd like to know more if I could. Their products don't spell TBD to me at a glance, but I have not yet called the company. Any input or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks to all & have a great day!
    Dave K.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h64OVmIS7U]Mazak Integrex J-300 - YouTube[/ame]

TRS2 non-contact broken tool detection system

BigC | Dino-Lite Digital Microscope

BigC is really just for visual inspection/possible manual offset. The laser from renishaw is by far the fastest.

Small tools are always the challenge. A .005" drill might show broken a lot through the laser system even if it's not broken, however even the contact type can damage the tool .

Maybe an alternative approach would be to include part feature/size probing after tool run and just halt program and throw an alarm to operator to check tool. This could also be integrated into SPC for quality control. Guess it all depends on number of tools per part and number of parts per run.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Maybe an alternative approach would be to include part feature/size probing after tool run and just halt program and throw an alarm to operator to check tool. This could also be integrated into SPC for quality control. Guess it all depends on number of tools per part and number of parts per run.
    We do not have a probe on this machine & have no intention to add one at this point. The machine is set up with a standard tool package, running somewhere between 30-40 different parts on a recurring basis. Lot sizes vary with product demand but each part will probably run at 2-3 week intervals. Average of 10-20 tools per part & tools are shared between parts. All offsets remain in machine which basically makes setup a matter of changing collet, spindle liner, barfeeder, & loading of program. The main goal of the TBD is to reduce any chance of scrap or tapping a hole that doesn't exist (for example). Any quality control or SPC will be performed external to the machine. It's function is to cut chips & make parts. Any work stoppage or manual intervention needs to be minimized.

We have installed many BK MIcro units on our Swiss machines and they work very well with only about half second per check, never tried to go faster.
    BK MIKRO

Quote Originally Posted by cogsman1 View Post
    We have installed many BK MIcro units on our Swiss machines and they work very well with only about half second per check, never tried to go faster.
    BK MIKRO
    Thanks!! I'd never heard of them before. We'll be looking into it further before we decide. If we have the space to mount something like this in the tool magazine area rather than the machining area, that would be ideal. But the space is pretty limited. We'd have to mount the TRS2 in the machining area, but that is greatly affected by the shutter motion.

Thanks again.
    Any more suggestions appreciated.
    Dave

hello somebody knows if i need to add a kind of interface to the machine to reconize the signals from the tool breakage detection? because i would like to add a BK MIKRO8 to an Okuma machine MA500H
    thank to all and have a great weekend