586,321 active members*
3,757 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Interested in CNC mill and lathe.

Hello everyone!

My friend and I went online a couple nights ago just to see how many hundreds of thousands of dollars a CNC machine costs. We nearly $&!# our pants when we saw that we can probably get one for a few grand that would do what we want it to do.

If I decide to do this, it will be in my 2 car garage, cement floor. We are into 5th scale r/c's (radio control trucks) and we would really like to fab our own parts that are hard to get and/or stronger than what is currently available. We could then market some of the strenthened parts to help pay off the machine.

So, a CNC that can mill aluminum parts, like suspension arms and diff housings, shock towers and other various parts would probably be the first of 2 machines I would like to ultimately own. I would likely be machining either 6061-T6 or 7075-T6 aluminum alloy. If I can get a machine that will mill steel as well, that would be a bonus.

I am also considering a CNC lathe that can help us make titanium drive shafts.

Now, I don't know a whole lot about these machines other than what I've read online, which really isn't a whole lot in comparison to the many experts that frequent this forum. I'm sure it's possible to get a machine that will do all of the above, but a CNC milling machine that will do titanium is probably really expensive, which is why I figured I should start with a mill that will do up to 7075-T6.

There is so much information on these rigs, my brain is all over the place. I would REALLY appreciate some input from you guys. I could maybe sink a few G's into a rig within the next few months.

I work with computers every day, it's what I do. Getting pc's set up for this probably won't be an issue for me.

Thanks and regards,

IVIayheIVI.

Given your constraints of space and budget, and the size of the parts you're talking about making, some of the miniature machines that come ready to run in CNC mode would be worth considering. The Taig 2027 CNC micro-mill, for instance, costs less than $2500 and can cut most metals. The Sherline 4400 lathe is priced even lower, with either CNC or DRO as stock options, and it does a good job on parts that fit in its (admittedly rather small) part envelope.

Titanium is difficult to cut on small equipment like this, not because it's especially hard, but because it has a tendency to work-harden immediately. So you need to take a relatively heavy cut to avoid that, which is more difficult for a small mill or lathe to do. That said, it can be done on these machines, especially if you use the CP (Commercially Pure) grade of titanium, instead of one of the alloys, which vary in their machinability.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Thanks for the reply, I'll be looking more closely at those machines later on tonight.

Another question I wish I had included in my original post... how would one typically get a pattern into the machine other than from scratch using CAD? Does that CNC machine have a function that will allow it to effetively scan a part that I have? I know some machines can "feel" a part and input the dimensions into the computer. I know there are also other products on the market that will extrapolate the dimensions through various methods, such as laser technology.

A CNC machine that will cut most metals for under $2,500... I'm still in awe of the thought.

Will that 2027 do hardened steel? I was thinking we might be going that route instead of titanium, at least in the short term.

If not, is there another (less expensive) machine that will do up to 7075-T6 aluminum alloy? I'm just trying to get into this sooner than later. I have to save up some money to get it. We might just give up on steel for now and stick with aluminum.

In regards to scanning tech, has anyone tried David Laserscanner? I have everything needed to do structured light scanning already, besides the software.

Any other suggestions for 3d scanning? Besides spending $30k+?

Thanks for the input!

Hi
    I revommend doing a checklist what you want issue and how important it is for you. I had to do Same 1 year ago and ended up with non China stuff emc2 as Controller and BobCAD cut2d cut3d DeskProto as my cam learning curve ..
    My Homepage give you an Impression
    Cu Thomas

I would look at a tormach, though above your budget, you will be happier in the end. I started with a sherline, and it's Y axis limitation just kept getting in my way.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    I would look at a tormach, though above your budget, you will be happier in the end. I started with a sherline, and it's Y axis limitation just kept getting in my way.
    That looks like a good machine, and I'm tempted... but I won't be able to afford that for some time. I was thinking of going in the other direction, finding something for less money that will do 7075-T6. I can go without milling steel and titanium for a while. I'm just looking to get started sooner rather than later. I can always upgrade if things go well.

If you your up to assembling/building your own...

MTW MD-01 great machine about the size of the tormach
    Guessitmate - $4k for full CNC
    or
    Grizzly 0704 which is a little smaller, still a great machine.
    Guessitmate - $2.5-3k for full CNC.
    Donald

Hi
    I also own a proxxon mf 70 cnc Version and my New one has even a toolchanger look at usovo.de i do alu pcb and Acryl with it my old one ill refurbish with an reprap ramps cnc Kit .... thats even saving you pc mach3 pc ... cu Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    Hi
    I also own a proxxon mf 70 cnc Version and my New one has even a toolchanger look at usovo.de i do alu pcb and Acryl with it my old one ill refurbish with an reprap ramps cnc Kit .... thats even saving you pc mach3 pc ... cu Thomas
    Just trying to be clear... are you offering to sell me a refurbished mill?

Hi
    Sorry No not directly. I guess the shipping might be to expensive but.
    For what you try to do you might get an ok machine for Less than 1k Euro ... for your needs ..
    Then when you know noreplay and your bussiness allows it you can then step up. And i know because i was in similar Situation than you.
    And if you really want to start low as i did i updated my old manual mf 70 to cnc but i destroyed one tread thats why i bought an mf 70 cnc 2008 from usovo where i lately burned the Controller due to lpt card and now i will exchange the Controller card to an reprap 1.4 and that is what i recommend. Especially if you know computers.
    Because i spent last year 250 Euros for millers -
    Just my 5 Cents
    Cu
    Tk

Ah, ok. I see what you're saying now.

I'm looking at used mills as well, but it's hard to know what kind of shape it's in. Also hard to tell what kind of shape it will be in when it gets here, depending how it was packaged and shipped.

There's also my curse to consider. If I dare to buy anything used, I WILL end up putting a bunch more money into it I can pretty much guarantee... because I'm cursed. Things just don't typically work out too well for me.

Just bought a vintage car that was supposed to be nearly complete... yeah... I'm going to spend another $5000 just to make it road-worthy. Don't ask me about the crappy body work and paint.

Anyway, ranting aside... I wouldn't mind work with a used unit if it was very well taken care of. I just don't know if I want to take that kind of risk. I might get a machine that needs enough work to cost me more than a new machine.

I don't know how crazy I am with the thought of building or upgrading a mill. I've never even SEEN one of these in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by IVIayheIVI View Post
    Will that 2027 do hardened steel? I was thinking we might be going that route instead of titanium, at least in the short term.

[No, that's not recommended. But you can anneal tool steel, mill it, then harden and temper it afterwards.]

If not, is there another (less expensive) machine that will do up to 7075-T6 aluminum alloy?

[There are all sorts of machines out there, but most of the ones that are ready to run in CNC mode cost more, not less, and some are useless junk]

I'm just trying to get into this sooner than later. I have to save up some money to get it. We might just give up on steel for now and stick with aluminum.

In regards to scanning tech, has anyone tried David Laserscanner? I have everything needed to do structured light scanning already, besides the software.

[There are people on this forum who have experimented with it. A post in the 3d scanners section would probably yield some knowledgeable comments.]

Any other suggestions for 3d scanning? Besides spending $30k+?

Thanks for the input!
    [Roland makes some nice turntable-type laser scanners in the $8k- 12k range. What sorts of things were you thinking about scanning?]

Andrew Werby

The more complex shapes we'd want to work with at the start would be gears or diff housings for our r/c trucks.

Here's a pic of my 2 trucks:

While I'm really enthusiastic about 3D scanning, I don't think that's going to work too well. Gears in particular, and mechanical parts in general, aren't well-suited to the scan-to-mill workflow. You can get a general idea of the shape of something from a scan, but it's a lot of work (with expensive software) to reverse-engineer a part that will actually function. Making gears is best accomplished by using dedicated software and hobs. You'd have a better shot at producing those housings this way, but if the tolerances are tight, you'll still want to rebuild them in a CAD program before trying to mill them.

Andrew Werby