586,103 active members*
3,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma & Howa 2H-NC mill; good buy?

Okuma & Howa 2H-NC mill; good buy?

I'm considering buying an older (1987) Okuma 2H-NC mill for a bargain price. The seller is not a machinist and knows absolutely nothing about the machine. It's not one that I'm familiar with and I can't seem to find any useful information online. I have not seen the machine in person yet but I know it's been outside and needs some work which is fine with me, I'm ready for another rebuild or at least clean up.

I would be very grateful if anybody can tell me anything about the 2H-NC. I don't know what control it has or even it's travels. I would love to see a manual or even a brochure (or ANYTHING!). I would love to chat with someone who has operated one. Even if you can just point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thank You!

"Wreck" Phillips

Here are a couple pics. Again, any information would help.

Well, I bought it. Hopefully it's not a 10,000 lb turd. It will take some time to arrange logistics and get it here but I'm excited. Now I just need to learn some ancient control system and I don't even know which one yet! Prolly gonna need DNC to do anything fancy. Can't wait to see what I got!

I googled that model and *nothing* came up in google images. nothing. not even one pic.

If I were buying something I would get a LOT more info than a couple of small pics.

I would want to know the NC control type, all axis travel limits, spindle speed range, tool capacity etc etc.
    If the seller knows nothing I'm sure he would be more than willing to supply pics of the controller and a pic of the front of the machine showing the table where you could clearly see approximate axis travel and/or size capacity.

You should have asked for more info/pics.

Your pic is too small but for a 1987 machine it could have an OSP5000 control (or maybe Fanuc 10).

The name plate says CNC but there's levers on the side. No CNC I've ever seen has manual levers on the side.
    There's a dovetail on the top slide overarm as well which is typical of a manual horizontal milling machine with a semi-automatic electronic control box.....

my condolences ...

Thank you for responding. I bought this machine from a government agency and they never provide any information about their surplus. I was actually looking for a sturdy manual mill when I came across this one. When I saw that it weighed 10,000 lb and the price was basically it's scrap value I decided to roll the dice (more photos attached).

I bought a lathe from the same place a few years back in a similar situation...a bit of a gamble. I too had been outside for a while. I paid ~$200 and spent another ~$150 in seals, oil, and knick knacks (plus a few days cleaning up surface rust and rebuilding). It's been in service ever since and looks and runs great. I have my fingers crossed for a similar outcome in this case.

I found one that looks very similar on ebay. It has 2R-NC on the head and mine has 2H-NC (but they are both vertical). The ebay description was not very good. I asked the seller for more info but haven't heard back yet. His is working and says OH-Fanuc on the controller. His listing says cnc router (?) and he's asking $8K (search "okuma router").

I have also contacted Okuma on Thursday to see if they could give me any information but have not heard yet. If i can get it to work as a manual or semi-auto mill I'll be happy as a clam. If I can get the control working or even DNC I'll be over the moon :wee:. If nothing works, I guess I'll have some nice components for my next homebuilt router and I won't be out much (if any after scrapping).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails okuma back.jpg   okuma front.jpg   Okuma side.jpg  

Well, I have finally answered most of my questions. The control is Fanuc 10M. It's got digital AC servos which (was a bit of a surprise to me). It's also got a geared head, box ways, and a 50 taper spindle.

The dovetail in back is interesting. It is there because it's actually a universal mill...horizontal or vertical mill. You can extend the overarm and attach sort of an inverted tailstock for horizontal milling and you can retract the overarm and attach the vertical spindle for vertical milling. Another interesting feature is the hand dials on the front for manual milling. They are not connected to the ballscrews, just encoders.

I carefully wired the machine for the power in my shop, crossed my fingers, and flipped the switches. Everything came up just fine, I was very happy. I was also happy to find that the system reports a total of 622 cutting hours. Somebody also installed a BTR (tape reader emulator) in the mid 90's.

I'd be really curious to know what this thing cost back in 1987. Anybody know? or have a guess?

I'm doing a little paint now, I'll post photos when I finish.

curious to know what this thing cost back in 1987
    over $80 000 sure. Maybe + $50 000 if the Fanuc control is not standard for this model. And it is.

Attachment 185220
    Attachment 185222

Sorry about the old thread but I realized I never posted photos. So far the mill has been great. It works really well in manual and semi-auto modes. I've run a couple simple programs from memory but nothing fancy. When I try to run more complicated programs I get all kinds of alarms but I think the problem is with my CAM post processor. It could also have something to do with a recent "learning experience."

While I was trying to read a file with DNC software I accidentally erased a bunch of the O9XXX programs in the program directory...oops. I believe those were like optional canned cycle macros? I have a list of which ones were installed but I'm not sure if/how I can recover them? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nice looking mill!