586,075 active members*
4,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question TurboCAD --> Mach3 ???

So I'm completely new to CNC, and I'm thisssss close to actually, finally getting my 3 axis mill running BUT...Bearing in mind I'm a hobbyist (limited budget), what is the "best" solution for going from TurboCAD (19 Deluxe, pro is out-of-reach at this point) to Mach3?

• CamBam has a package deal for 1 CamBam license and 1 CutViewer Mill license for $294.00
    • D2NC is attractive based on price & tight integration with Mach3, but it looks fairly limited(?)

I'm not tied to either of these solutions, they're just a starting point.

Incidentally, I'm interested in working mild steel and aluminum for robotics (and kinetic art).

Thanks all.

Mach3 needs g-code for input.
    TurboCad does not output g-code.
    Hence another piece of software is required to go from TurboCad to g-code.

I'm planning to use Meshcam to output g-code.

It depends on what you have in mind to do

Different CAM programs are suited to different tasks, and something that might work great for carving wooden signs, for instance, might not be what you'd want to use for making rotors in aluminum.

That said, for artistic kinds of things, DeskProto is a good candidate, since it's simple to use and can handle large files with ease. If you're really a hobbyist, not using it for commercial purposes, I can sell you a hobbyist license for the full 6.0 version for $300. But try it out before you buy it - you can download it from DeskProto offers rapid prototyping using an affordable cnc milling machine: DeskProto is 3D cam software for model making. and use it free for a month before deciding.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by vanderdeckken View Post
    So I'm completely new to CNC, and I'm thisssss close to actually, finally getting my 3 axis mill running BUT...Bearing in mind I'm a hobbyist (limited budget), what is the "best" solution for going from TurboCAD (19 Deluxe, pro is out-of-reach at this point) to Mach3?

• CamBam has a package deal for 1 CamBam license and 1 CutViewer Mill license for $294.00
    • D2NC is attractive based on price & tight integration with Mach3, but it looks fairly limited(?)

I'm not tied to either of these solutions, they're just a starting point.

Incidentally, I'm interested in working mild steel and aluminum for robotics (and kinetic art).

Thanks all.
    Yes, you will spend a little money on the software. I use Turbo Cad (~$90) to design my parts outputing the .dxf files. In the beginning I used Vectric Cut2D (~$150) to generate the tool paths, and this program will output the gcode use to make the part. Your CNC machine is run using Mach3 (~$175).
    This will take the gcode and output the pulses/steps to operate the stepper motors. I have found this to be a good method. All of the software is professional and does the job. As I got more experienced and wanted to upgrade my capabilities I just "upgraded" my Cut2D to VCarvePro to Aspire. That was so I could do more complicated toolpaths.
    The Cut2D or other program used to generate the gcode is where you need to spend your money. This will let you design your toolpaths and will let you "see" what your part will look like. Cut2D and the other Vectric products have a lite cad package to draw simple designs. Google "Vectric" before you make any software purchases.

Hope this helped.
    farmertom.
    farmertom
    http://cncartwork.weebly.com/index.html

I started out with TurboCAD V14 Pro with their CAM plug-in. If you have the plug-in, it will in fact generate G-code which can be run with very little tweaking in Mach3. I never even bothered modifying the post processor since it just added a few errant commands to each file.

I have problems running this setup under Win7 (32-bit) though. Oddly enough, the drawing side worked flawlessly, but the CAM package was flaky even after I hit it with every compatibility trick I could come up with.

I've used DeskProto a few times, but if you're looking for an all-in-one package, I'd suggest looking at BobCAD. I just got it a couple months ago and have been very impressed so far. It's not perfect, but it's so far beyond the CAM plug-in for TurboCAD and Dolphin that I'm not looking back. I'll still use Deskproto for rotational 3D, but that's a rare thing for me.

Check your PM.

Ken

Thanks for the info

Thanks all, and I'll definitely check out the options mentioned. I've only skimmed the BobCAD postings but it seems like a lot of ppl have had problems with the sw, and everyone has a horror story about BobCAD's pricing, upgrade and sales practices.

Hi
    I also use turbocad (for Mac of course) then i came from cut2d cut3d to DeskProto then my Parts are getting verry complex so machining time is an issue.
    Same Part on DeskProto 15 hours. Using bobcad 9 hours and better finnish. So because i also have a lathe i bought bobcad and it does the Job.
    I had a look at mastercam it is ok 4th Axis and ok but for an non expert out of reach have a look at strutcam or madcam which a FRIENDS of Mine use and is verry satiesfied ... thomas

Turbo CAD

I use Turbo CAD 17 on Win 7. D2nc and Cut2d for CAM and posting to MACH 3. Alot of the time I do things backwards, quickly draw the parts in D2nc and export in dxf into Turbo CAD for clean up and layering and then to
    Cut2d for CAM and post. I then test run it in GWizardE, run the sim and edit has needed. TC17 and D2nc play well together,importing and exporting dxf files. Cut2d trial version has a code line limit of 500 but is a wonderful program to use. GWizardE is from Bob at CNC Cookbook and is a beta test that has a few clitches now and again but is a really good editor.
    Hope that helps

Hi
    For 2d or 2.5d this toolchain is ok i also have cut3d but only for easy stuff i think IT really depends on the use case so if we would know more we could probably better help ..
    Happy easter Thomas