586,119 active members*
3,603 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D SL30 Model Needed

I need a SL30 3D model for simulation in our CAM system. Haas at this point does not provide 3D models of their machines although in the future they might. Can any of you point me in the right direction with this. I am using Gibbscam and the simulation is very good. However I need to get a hold of the SL30 models.

thanks

Have you considered getting a tape measure and making your own model?

I have but.......I work remotely and it is very inconvenient for me to do this. Would be different if I was right there, but I am an airplane flight away from my employer.

What is the point of having the model? Doesn't gibbscam have a verify? (I know the answer is yes)

The verify should be all you need...(ESPECIALLY for a 2 axis lathe). It is really all you need for 3 and most 4 axis machines to make sure you have a program that is safe.

I'm not sure how a model would work dynamically in different software anyway. It would need to be Gibbs specific and have all of your tooling and offsets modeled in order to be really useful...(at least it would seem that way to me)

If you have all of your tooling drawn or represented accurately then you should be able to run verify and post and go.

The other answer is:

Buy a seat of this: CGTech, the developer of VERICUT CNC simulation, optimization and verification software
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    What is the point of having the model? Doesn't gibbscam have a verify? (I know the answer is yes)

The verify should be all you need...(ESPECIALLY for a 2 axis lathe). It is really all you need for 3 and most 4 axis machines to make sure you have a program that is safe.

I'm not sure how a model would work dynamically in different software anyway. It would need to be Gibbs specific and have all of your tooling and offsets modeled in order to be really useful...(at least it would seem that way to me)

If you have all of your tooling drawn or represented accurately then you should be able to run verify and post and go.

The other answer is:

Buy a seat of this: CGTech, the developer of VERICUT CNC simulation, optimization and verification software
    Ok, since you insist I will explain. Like I mentioned earlier I am very far from the physical presence of this machine. We at times have the turret full of long boring bars and drills and I need to see how the interfere with the chuck and also make sure they don't punch a hole thru the back of the machine. It is no problem building a machine in SolidWorks and putting it into Gibbs. I have my five axis rotary done like that right now. Gibbs has a machine build plug-in that handles all of this.

Yes we have priced Vericut but cannot afford it. Gibbs machine simulation does what we want to now.

Here you go: GibbsCAM Gibbs Video Library - ENG | GibbsCAM - ENG

Quote Originally Posted by montie View Post
    Ok, since you insist I will explain. Like I mentioned earlier I am very far from the physical presence of this machine. We at times have the turret full of long boring bars and drills and I need to see how the interfere with the chuck and also make sure they don't punch a hole thru the back of the machine. It is no problem building a machine in SolidWorks and putting it into Gibbs. I have my five axis rotary done like that right now. Gibbs has a machine build plug-in that handles all of this.

Yes we have priced Vericut but cannot afford it. Gibbs machine simulation does what we want to now.

Here you go: GibbsCAM Gibbs Video Library - ENG | GibbsCAM - ENG

Can you post your 5 axis machine for us?
    Tim

Here is a screenshot. The actual VMC I got off of the Gibbs support site. You have to be on maintenance. The trunnion and platter I modeled up in SolidWorks and added it in. It really simulates nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5axis.jpg  

Wow. They even included the control panel. Do you get a lot of control panel crashes/interference? LOL

Here is a screenshot. The actual VMC I got off of the Gibbs support site. You have to be on maintenance. The trunnion and platter I modeled up in SolidWorks and added it in. It really simulates nice
    What do you mean you have to be on maintenance? How do we give you a model when you can't give us one?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    What do you mean you have to be on maintenance? How do we give you a model when you can't give us one?
    You have to be on maintenance to download from their site. They don't have any Haas lathe models. I will gladly trade this to you in exchange for SL30 model. Show me a screenshot of it please. Thanks

You have to be on maintenance to download from their site. They don't have any Haas lathe models. I will gladly trade this to you in exchange for SL30 model. Show me a screenshot of it please. Thanks
    I'm not interested in a trade. I just find it odd that you were wanting us to give you something and you won't give what you have.:nono:
    Tim

Hey no worries! If you read my original post you will notice I was asking for somebody to point me in the right direction, not for a free one. If somebody wants what I have I will share it with them. It is to large and to many files to post here though. I will need your email address to send a zipped file to.

I have something of a model but it was made for external purposes (layout and robot reach studies) rather than turret travel and such. We ended up not buying that machine so I never finished the model. hah

I can send it to you if you want, but probably not what you're looking for...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails st30.jpg  

Thanks a lot. I just sent you a private message with my email.