586,111 active members*
3,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie- Bar puller question

Hi,

I am trying to run a bar puller on a HAAS SL-10 lathe. The machine keeps throwing an alarm stating the the spindle is not turning when expected. I have attached the program below. Where do you think I am going wrong?

Collet Type Part Puller:

G0 T0404
    G18
    G54 X0. Z0.
    G1 Z-.5 F.01
    M11
    G1 Z0.
    M10
    G1 Z.5
    G28 U0. W0.
    T0400
    M30

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there a parameter or setting that needs to be changed?

Thanks,

Ron

Looks like you're feeding in Inches Per Rev. (IPR) & need to feed Inches Per Minute (IPM).

Why would the feedrate affect this?The machine stops when the chuck un clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstoppable View Post
    Why would the feedrate affect this?The machine stops when the chuck un clamps.
    And where does it say this in your original post? Good luck, no more help from me.

Add a G98(FPM f50.)after your tool call, then at the end put in a G99(FPR F.004) before you start cutting again.

Thank's everyone for ur reply but i got it! I thinkI used rapid commands instead of feedrates.Then I put a dwell cycle between the opening and closing of the chuck.Also i found out that u cannot use single block when doing this.if anyone has any more info i would love to hear about it!Because there is always more than one way to skin a catThank's Ron

You can use a rapid command for a bar puller but if you try that with a long large diameter bar you might get a servo overload or servo following error because a rapid accelerates hard and moves fast.

The correct way to do it is what you were told by mfgbydesgin and obiwon. Use feed per minute (G98) when the spindle is stopped. When you have no revs feed per rev doesn't go anywhere which is why the control gives the spindle not turning alarm.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

+1 Geof
    +1 obiwan
    +1 mfgbydesign

G96 feed per rev is adjusting the RPM based on the X position. If the spindle is not turning, G96 will not work.

To use single block with the chuck open change parameter 278:8 (CHUCK OPEN CSTART) to 1.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

[QUOTE=KenFoulks;1023477....To use single block with the chuck open change parameter 278:8 (CHUCK OPEN CSTART) to 1.[/QUOTE]

I guess CHUCK OPEN CSTART means you can start a cycle with the chuck open; whether or not you are in single block?

If the answer is yes I will leave my machines as they are. For bar puller or feeder operation I put M01 after the M11 then turn off Single Block and turn on Optional Stop just before the chuck opens.

The thought of having a machine spin up to full speed with the chuck open and a length of bar able to slide forward and turn into a flail scares me.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I guess CHUCK OPEN CSTART means you can start a cycle with the chuck open; whether or not you are in single block?
    Yes, that is correct.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Bar Puller for Haas SL-20

Can anyone recommend a turret mounted bar puller for a Haas SL-20 Lathe? I'm planning on running 7/8" and 1" dia free machining brass. Thanks.

I use the Royal bar pullers in both my SL10 and ST10..

Bar puller

Hey Locash

I am looking for a barpuller for my ST10 and I have found a Grippal puller it looks very similar to the Royal , but they make a VDI 40 version that goes directly into my turret , questions are would you reccomend a 2 3 or 4 finger puller ?

3 finger.

If I had the VDI turret and was looking at that type of puller, I would definately get the 3 finger as well..

Nice , thanks formthe input I will let you know how it works