586,077 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 55 of 88 545535455565765
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1750
    Just a thought... With the hollow box designs has anyone look at trying to reduce the noise? I've watched a couple of movies in here (and like mine as well) most of the noise seems to couple from the steppers into these really
    nice wood sounding boards...

Perhaps stuff the box with Styrofoam packing peanuts or something?

Once the dust extractor and router are going the steppers are silent

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    Once the dust extractor and router are going the steppers are silent

That is true, once everything is on that is the noise you try to surpress with its own room or something, not the stepper noise.

Hey Joe,
    I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks. I am impressed with your cnc build. Pretty incredible. I own a sign shop and have a Dimension 200 router, which I have had for over ten years.
    My question is this. On my router I use a layer of 6mm expanded pvc as a sacrifical table. This is installed in strips with double sided tape.
    the entire layer is milled with the router to an even layer. Then a 1"x 1" grid system is engraved into the table with an engraving bit, along with the numbers of the x and y coordinates along the two edges. Ever consider this approach on yours?
    This makes my table match very my router travel perfectly. And when the table gets marred it can be milled down a little more to make a new clean surface. When worn out I peel the entire layer, and put on a new one with double sided tape.
    Any thoughts? I am helping my cousin as he begins to build on of yours.
    Thanks

sure that would work fine with a grid, most people use MDF because it is alot cheaper than the PVC. How much do you pay for yours?

Sintra in 6mm (1/4") is around $50 a sheet in white, a little more in colors.
    In 10 years I have changed my strips about 7 or 8 times. I run my router on average about 3 days a week, 4 or 5 hours of actual running on those days.
    On my router (cutting area 31.5" x 35.5") I can get enough strips from a sheet to cover my table 5 or 6 times.
    thanks

Post some pictures of it

I have a Question for you Joe. In a previous post in this thread you mentioned that using 1/2" ply may introduce chattering. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=127

I have the plywood on hand from a previous project that never went anywhere and had planned on using it to make the CNC. Since the machine is bolted down, I'm guessing only the moving parts would be the concern for weight/chatter. Would gluing up 1/2" and 3/4" ply for the gantry uprights(or 2 pieces of 3/4") instead of 2 pieces of 1/2" prevent chatter? Or by doing that would I then introduce too much weight into the gantry?

Quote Originally Posted by ezgoin View Post
    I have a Question for you Joe. In a previous post in this thread you mentioned that using 1/2" ply may introduce chattering. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=127

I have the plywood on hand from a previous project that never went anywhere and had planned on using it to make the CNC. Since the machine is bolted down, I'm guessing only the moving parts would be the concern for weight/chatter. Would gluing up 1/2" and 3/4" ply for the gantry uprights(or 2 pieces of 3/4") instead of 2 pieces of 1/2" prevent chatter? Or by doing that would I then introduce too much weight into the gantry?
    The plywood will be fine to use, as long as you use some bracing, either by a side angle brace such as "Jay" did on his, or threaded rods through the gantry sides as i have done on mine. The Key tp the best cutting is to make the machine as stout as possible, yet making it light as possible also.

Joe

The plywood will be fine to use, as long as you use some bracing, either by a side angle brace such as "Jay" did on his, or threaded rods through the gantry sides as i have done on mine.
    I saw the angle jay had attached and loved the idea, will definitely do that. By threaded rods through the gantry, do you mean other than the Y torsion box and Gantry bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by ezgoin View Post
    I saw the angle jay had attached and loved the idea, will definitely do that. By threaded rods through the gantry, do you mean other than the Y torsion box and Gantry bottom?
    you can see them in this picture.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...4&d=1169267356

Got it, Thanks for your help. I need to dig the camera out and start a log I suppose

Our local Menards sells this recycled plastic sheet stuff that is about 1/4" thick that could be used for a sacrifical top, I think that it is less than $50 a sheet and it would mill up pretty good also. I think that if you looked at most home improvement box stores you should be able to find it, I think it might also come thicker.

Hey Joe,
    Attached are some pictures of a very well worn table on my Dimension 200.
    This has been on without being re-milled for 9 or 10 months of hard use.

When this was taken I had my engraver motor on the table.

I should mention one of the nicest things about the pvc is how well it holds tape, and how well it cleans back up after much use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table 2.jpg   table.JPG  

Where do you get your pvc from?
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

anyone have the dust collection dwg? trying to find it but can't locate it, would like to cut it today as I have the dust collection piped in with a direct line to my dust collector.. would like to connect it up, this machine gets pretty damn dirty without it, the bearings fill up pretty good too

Brian, were the v-carve files no good that I sent you via email?

Quote Originally Posted by dighsx View Post
    Where do you get your pvc from?
    Hey Jay,
    Trade name Sintra comes from any sign supply company. In Michigan Wensco is a good bet. They have several locations, including Grand Rapids and In Detroit area.
    Have any trouble finding it I can give you a list if you tell me where you are.

Letterguy, is this the stuff you use? http://store.foamboardsource.com/sin...a-pvc-6mm.html

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    Brian, were the v-carve files no good that I sent you via email?
    which files? you sent me two in the past, z test and david.. just want to cut the bracket out and mount it, I have all the other dust collection hooked up

Page 55 of 88 545535455565765