586,077 active members*
3,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 78 of 88 28687677787980
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1750
    Joe-

Today I made the first cut, and it didn't go as planned. The CAD was prefectly laid out and the toolpaths were all perfect, but it made a horrible high pitched noise. I tried adjusting the feed rate but it continued to make the sound.

I think its the bit that is the problem, or maybe the cut speed?
    Here are the specifications:
    End Mill-
    -1/4" shank, 1/4" diameter, 4 flutes, carbide, TiN coating
    - http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMPXNO=7776347

CNC Router Setup-
    -21,000 RPM, 60 IPM, 1/4" depth passes

I just read this on a website: "Do NOT use these types of bits:
    Machining End Mills:Bits from sources like MSC or McMasters are intended to operate on machining mills like Bridgeports etc. They are typically designed to cut at around 2000 RPM, and will not hold up long at the speed of the CNC mill."

Just wondering what bit you used to cut your mdf parts, how many rpms is your router set to, and how many ipms you cut. Where do you buy your bits?

Is a Use-Enco bit inappropriate for cutting on a CNC?

Ideally, you should use bit's made for wood, not metal. However, metal cutting bits should still work. With a 4 flute bit at 60ipm, try about 10,000 rpm.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

the bits from enco are not the best quality, I use CMT 2 flute up spiral.around 12,000 rpm.

also MDF will give you a high pitch noise due to its properties, and the sharper the bit the better it will work.

Joe

Joe-

I just ordered a CMT bit and hope things turn out better. Thanks for the advice

Spencer

Was it trying to plunge the bit?
    The type of bit you describe is probably not one to use for a plunge cut. The upspiral wood bits will plunge cut.

Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    Was it trying to plunge the bit?
    The type of bit you describe is probably not one to use for a plunge cut. The upspiral wood bits will plunge cut.
    Our bit is an upspiral bit.

yeah the bit is a centercutting upspiral bit, so it would have no problem plunging.

Joe-
    Today was the second day of cutting and there were numerous improvements made from the first day of cutting. We made changes to the IPM and RPM of the router and we're able to make much cleaner, quicker, and quieter cuts.

Router Settings:
    - 16,000 RPM
    - 80+ IPM
    - .18" passes

Bit Settings:
    - Brand: Atrax (off of Use-Enco.com)
    - 1/4" shank, 1/4" diameter, 3/4" cut depth, 2-3/4" total length
    - Carbide, Titanium Nitrade Coating,
    - 4 flute / centercutting / Upspiral

The high pitched sound that we had experienced the first day definitely decreased, most likely due to the shorter passes. But the shorter passes and increased IPM was an enormous improvements on the deeper passes. While it takes 3 passes now, going at 80+IPM slowest we have great improvements on speed.

One Problem: The bit is an upspiral bit, yet it fails to remove the mdf dust from the 1/4" width channel. The dust accumulates and causes the high pitched noise to increase. The dust collection has no effect on the dust so we were just going to use a small shop vac and do it between passes? Any suggestions?

I'm really excited for the CMT bit, I hope it increases the cut speeds. Is it a compression bit, it didn't say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sbthomas13 View Post
    Joe-
    Today was the second day of cutting and there were numerous improvements made from the first day of cutting. We made changes to the IPM and RPM of the router and we're able to make much cleaner, quicker, and quieter cuts.

Router Settings:
    - 16,000 RPM
    - 80+ IPM
    - .18" passes

Bit Settings:
    - Brand: Atrax (off of Use-Enco.com)
    - 1/4" shank, 1/4" diameter, 3/4" cut depth, 2-3/4" total length
    - Carbide, Titanium Nitrade Coating,
    - 4 flute / centercutting / Upspiral

The high pitched sound that we had experienced the first day definitely decreased, most likely due to the shorter passes. But the shorter passes and increased IPM was an enormous improvements on the deeper passes. While it takes 3 passes now, going at 80+IPM slowest we have great improvements on speed.

One Problem: The bit is an upspiral bit, yet it fails to remove the mdf dust from the 1/4" width channel. The dust accumulates and causes the high pitched noise to increase. The dust collection has no effect on the dust so we were just going to use a small shop vac and do it between passes? Any suggestions?

I'm really excited for the CMT bit, I hope it increases the cut speeds. Is it a compression bit, it didn't say?
    mine are 2 flute upspiral, and it still leaves material in the cuts, thats just the nature of the beast.

joe

Unless you blow compressed air into the cut, it's almost impossible to get the dust out when using small bits.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ger is right and suggested aw hile back when I had similar issues to use 3/8" spirals instead of 1/4". I use 1/4" to save from tool changes like joe does but when I'm only cutting parts and not pocketing or drilling I will use a 3/8" solid carbide whiteside upspiral and it will do two things; eliminate that ear pinching sound you get and make all the dust it cuts airborne. Make sure you have good dust collection!

Hello everybody

I have reading this thread for several days now. I just hope my boss dosen't find out how much time i spent on here! First of all, AWESOME job Joe and all the rest of you guys. I never thought there would be so much support is this kind of "hobby". I am thinking of building a Joe model myself (after the Christmas season) and I feel with the support found here i could do it! (no matter what my wife says)

As you can see this is my first post and I just wanted to say Hello to all and I look forward to future communication.

Thanks
    David

Bama,
    Are you in Elkmont Alabama? If so, that's just a few miles from me in Huntsville.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Bama,
    Are you in Elkmont Alabama? If so, that's just a few miles from me in Huntsville.
    Dave
    Oh yeah!
    I live in Elkmont. I work in Meridianville. So we are very close!
    David

I used to live in Alabama...have to say didn't like the area I was in. Called West Blocton. It's right in between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. It's near Greenpond, Somewhat near Bessemer also near Brent and Centreville.

Dougie,
    I'm north of your old haunts by about 2.5+ hours driving. It's alot warmer down here then up in Pittsburgh, you got to admit that.

And thats a good thing? Humidity is horrible Not to mention theres a little to much of the old ways around where I lived down there if you know what I mean.

Dougie, I'm just making lemonade from the lemons. When the humidity finally gets to my MDF router, I'll just make a new one. The next one will likely be the 4x4 from Joe. I'm tempted to build his 2006 but I'm too busy cutting stuff on my current machine to start a build.

Yeah I'm debating on waiting for a kit for his Hybrid or venturing off with my own design.

I liked that Dave...LMAO
    Quote"I'm just making lemonade from the lemons"
    I've felt your pain my brother!!..LOL

Cheers dewalt58

Page 78 of 88 28687677787980