586,076 active members*
3,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 87 of 88 377785868788
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1750
    I've got a lead-screw question; I haven't bought any yet and am wondering which I should go for.

It sounds like most people end up upgrading their lead-screws from the cheap 1/2-10 acme screws to 1/2-8 2 start acme screws, so I'm thinking of skipping the 1/2-10 screws altogether and starting off with the 1/2-8 2 start ones.

If I do go with the 1/2-8 2 start screws, are these ones what I should be looking at? Enco - Keystone 1/2-8RH26A

Kelvoden's plans

I just wanted to compliment Mr. Kelvoden on the quality of his plans. What I really appreciated was that he helped me out when I managed to get myself all in a pickle. You selden see really good service after the money has changed hands.

So thank you Mr. Kelvoden!!

Regards,

Lee

Lead Screw

@ JoyMonkey, Although I have no practice with other screws the Joes I bought from Kent out in Visalia works real nice. He had upgraded to 5 start, a bit more on money but it maybe worth it.
    Chris.....Everyday is a Good day.....if you wake up breathing!
    Joe's 2006, Mach3, Vectric software.

Klevoden Files

I am considering building a Joe's 2006. I have read all >1700 posts on this forum. I was doing great and fuly motivated until some of the posts started discussing problems with the 1/2 - 10 threaded rod, backlash and using 2 start and 5 start rods as alternates. I really don't understand this stuff.

In the very last posts in the forum there is discussion about Klevoden plans. I searched for additional info on these but could find nothing. If there is a link to these I would certianly appreciate learning of it.

Finally, given that most of the build discussion on the 2006 model is from 3 to 4 years ago with realtively little in the past 18 months, is the 2006 r-2 still the DIY CNC of choice for a machine it's size (footprint), ease of build and machine capabilities?

I would appreciate all and any advise. Thanks very much

Alan
    Vancouver Island, BC

I have not seen any Klevoden Plans, the Model 2006 is an open source design so selling plans would not fit the spirit of the project.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by arudson View Post
    I am considering building a Joe's 2006. I have read all >1700 posts on this forum. I was doing great and fuly motivated until some of the posts started discussing problems with the 1/2 - 10 threaded rod, backlash and using 2 start and 5 start rods as alternates. I really don't understand this stuff.

In the very last posts in the forum there is discussion about Klevoden plans. I searched for additional info on these but could find nothing. If there is a link to these I would certianly appreciate learning of it.

Finally, given that most of the build discussion on the 2006 model is from 3 to 4 years ago with realtively little in the past 18 months, is the 2006 r-2 still the DIY CNC of choice for a machine it's size (footprint), ease of build and machine capabilities?

I would appreciate all and any advise. Thanks very much

Alan
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I am certainly no expert in this subject but I do have a Joes 2006 R2. It works very well. Here are the pro and con items as I see them.

Pros-
    Easily built using the kit or self cut pieces from readily available materials.
    Owner can repair or adjust easily
    Modifications are simple
    Rigidity can be enhanced simply
    Accepts many different stepper systems
    Large work area
    Lots of owners and advice available
    Speed can be increased easily by using higher TPI Acme or ball screws

Cons-
    Large footprint (but it also has large cutting area)
    Needs stable supports (most CNC machines need this too)
    MDF may need extra care based on humidity in your area
    Rail system can be frustrating to adjust but once you get it it is easy
    Lead screw whipping can be an issue at higher speeds with original Acme

The lead screw item you are asking about is the original setup used 10 TPI single start screws. You have to spin these lead screws very fast to get higher travel speeds which can lead to the longer ( X axis) lead screw whipping (vibrating). By going to a lower TPI (ie 5 TPI ) can reduce lead screw rpm by 50% at the same speed. If you are doing a build, you can go to that setup to start, probably a good idea anyway.

Like I said, I am no expert but I am pretty happy with my Joes 2006 R2. The current rage for CNC is using aluminum extrusion for construction rather than MDF. MDF is fine if the design takes advantage of the MDF strengths like the Joes2006 does. Aluminum also has some disadvantages like resonance and vibrations dampening. I see some aluminum designs now that add additional components to deal with those issues. My guess is you will probably also drop a few more $$$ building an equivalent aluminum extrusion CNC machine. This is just a guess on my part I have no direct experience.

Don

Hey, everyone. Got my kit from Joe the other day. Unpacked it and...WOW! My hat's off to everyone that has cut one of these by hand. I couldn't imagine. I've got everything I need to get going. I will purchase my router soon. Any suggestions?

I've kind of gone all out (in my mind anyway as I am usually pretty cheap). I purchased a Gecko 540, 48V/12.5A power supply, 381 oz/in torque steppers, 1/2-8 two start rods, Dumpster CNC anti-backlash nuts and couplers. Just wanted to not do it cheaper and wished I had gone with different stuff later.

I have a few questions to get me going. Did you guys prime/paint the MDF pieces before you started assembly, or did you do it after? What did you use brandwise? Will spray primer work or should it be brushed on? What kind of bench do you place your machine on? I realize the weight, but what about vibration? I probably will make a stand for it. Anyone have a suggestion?

I've read through the entire thread and a few more over the past month. You guys do some amazing work and are very supportive of each other. I hope I can contribute something to the community as well. Oh, thank you, Joe! :cheers: Thanks in advance.

Happy Cutting,

Will

Thanks Don. I think I now understand the meaning of 'start'. Is there a general opinion of what the best lead screw start arrangement is? The guide calls for Acme 1/2” – 10 but I see references to Derhlin anti-backlash assembly and other screw sizes and starts. I’m confused what replaces what and how this all ties together.

I am trying to put together my complete shopping list of hardware and note that the construction assemble and hardware listing calls for 3 each of 1/4” Bore LoveJoy Coupler, Keyway Spider and 1/2” Bore LoveJoy Coupler. This doesn’t seem right to me unless one 1/4” and 1/2” are used on and each of the x, y and z axis.

I apologize if this is simple stuff but I’m just not getting it. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Alan

Alan, the list is correct. You need 3 each of the 2 sizes. One size fits over the end of the lead screw (1/2") and one size fits over the shaft of the stepper motor (1/4")

Don

Hi Alan, Also one of your questions was about 2 start and 5 start screws. If you look at the end of a threaded rod you'll see the begining (start) of where the nut threads on to the bolt/rod. On a 5 start there's 5 begining points. Makes for a much tighter and faster spin. I bought mine 6 months ago from Kent and he had upgraded it to 5 start. If you go this route there is a different calc you do in motor tuning. If I remember correctly it's 3200

Hope I explained that right.

Chris
    Chris.....Everyday is a Good day.....if you wake up breathing!
    Joe's 2006, Mach3, Vectric software.

Jewelry Box Model

Jewelry Box Model free dwonload file

There is a wooden box in the site

Hi Joe, it seems that this issue has been very successful, the machine has been very good. I was wondering if you can share me the plans for the latest version.
    I'm building a machine with my own designs, but my idea is to use it to build other smaller, wooden clocks, toys and other crafts. my email is brunomaster: [email protected]
    This is an album on facebook where there are pictures of my machine in the process ...

https://www.facebook.com/brunomaster...4266093&type=3

I've been digging through this MASSIVE build thread all day and have found naught but a multitude of expired links to download the 2006-R2 dxf/dwg files. Is there any current OPEN SOURCE location of the r2 drawings? I'm not going to give Kelvodon a penny for riding piggy-back on Joe's brilliant design! I located the nested parts dxf file which i hope is all i need, but i would like to have the original if possible.

Thanks!

Try this link, I just uploaded them to their own dir on my server.

http://www.joescnc.com/JoesCNC2006/J...l_2006_R-2.zip
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

What is the actual length of the 3 ACME screws?

got the eDrawing to work, found the lengths.

ok Good, Sorry did not see the message before.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Page 87 of 88 377785868788