586,062 active members*
4,787 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tempered hard board

Any one ever cut tempered hard board (masonite) I'm looking for some realistic cut speeds of 1/8 inch material.

How about MDF anyone have cut speeds?

Thanks,
    Scott

THB uses resins in it's bonding that don't cut very well

Laser MDF (Medite) cuts on an 80 watt machine at 26mmps and 70% power for 3.2mm Sheet.

Double the thickness requires four times the power for the same speed or the same power at four times slower speed as a general rule

hope that helps

best wishes

Dave

Thanks Dave

That's not what I wanted to hear at all :-(

I cut quite a bit of it on my CNC router but the small pieces are hard to hold down. I hoped to remedy this with a laser.

Scott

transfer tape

Not sure what your hold down in on the router, but try using transfer tape (ie wide masking tape, sign supply places sell it) to tape a few layers on the bottom side, and raise your zero up a little (.005-.010"). Ie, try to cut through the material but not the tape.

Probably only works on a vacuum table, but works well for our plastic cutting. Of course, simply using tabs might work too with hardboard.

Good luck (from someone who just put some money down on a laser for partly the same reason of the trouble in holding down small parts!)

Greg

I cut it all the time. Speed is 9 and power is 90% with an 80 watt laser. Edges will be black and sooty.

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer View Post
    Not sure what your hold down in on the router, but try using transfer tape (ie wide masking tape, sign supply places sell it) to tape a few layers on the bottom side, and raise your zero up a little (.005-.010"). Ie, try to cut through the material but not the tape.

Probably only works on a vacuum table, but works well for our plastic cutting. Of course, simply using tabs might work too with hardboard.

Good luck (from someone who just put some money down on a laser for partly the same reason of the trouble in holding down small parts!)

Greg
    Thanks Greg,

I have a 5 zone vac table & it works pretty well but on the small stuff I also have to use a .125 bit to help (less push on the material) & I go thru them pretty fast $$$ - I could practically pay for a laser in bit savings :-)

I cut over 1000 4 x 8 sheets last year. I was thinking that if I could cut some of the smaller sized parts with a laser it would help my production.

I was thinking 150 watt,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by lrob View Post
    I cut it all the time. Speed is 9 and power is 90% with an 80 watt laser. Edges will be black and sooty.
    Thanks for the reply.

What does speed of 9 indicate?
    Could you possibly post a picture of the cut edge? Soot Might be okay it ends up painted black anyway. if I can get decent through put.

I was thinking 150 watt laser.

Thank You,
    Scott

Hiya Scott,

The edges will be blackened and have loose residue on them, the fumes are also pretty nasty to boot.
    Yes it can be done and 150 watt will do it quite quickly but quality will be second best.

Lasers of sufficient power will cut pretty much anything (there is no physical limit to the amount of power a laser beam (ergo ABL etc) can reach) but that doesn't always mean it's a good idea

The speed of 9 is 9mm per second so around 3/8ths of an Inch for you US guys

Going from 80 watts to 150 watts will only increase the speed by around 50% so you will be looking at around speed 14 - 15 for a 150watt laser compared to an 80 watt running at a speed of 9mm per second. Not forgetting that 150 watt pipe will generate LOTS of Carbon / Smoke and Carbon as we all well know sucks up radiation like a sponge

My honest opinion? I'd go with more development on your router rather than spend the bucks on a laser.

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Hiya Scott,

The edges will be blackened and have loose residue on them, the fumes are also pretty nasty to boot.
    Yes it can be done and 150 watt will do it quite quickly but quality will be second best.

Lasers of sufficient power will cut pretty much anything (there is no physical limit to the amount of power a laser beam (ergo ABL etc) can reach) but that doesn't always mean it's a good idea

The speed of 9 is 9mm per second so around 3/8ths of an Inch for you US guys

Going from 80 watts to 150 watts will only increase the speed by around 50% so you will be looking at around speed 14 - 15 for a 150watt laser compared to an 80 watt running at a speed of 9mm per second. Not forgetting that 150 watt pipe will generate LOTS of Carbon / Smoke and Carbon as we all well know sucks up radiation like a sponge

My honest opinion? I'd go with more development on your router rather than spend the bucks on a laser.

best wishes

Dave
    Thanks Dave,

Thanks for your input, that's no where fast enough :-( . I guess I will have to keep refining my CNC router technique I'm cutting about 360IPM with good results but it's costly in the bit department the .125 cutters dull pretty fast in this stuff & they really can't be sharpened.

My bit supplier just sent me a new style to try hopefully it will help.

The hold down works good but I have to watch closely on the small stuff. Tape really isn't an option as I am cutting 4 x 8 sheets & tabs just create another step (more time) in the process.

I appreciate everyones responses.

Scott.