586,108 active members*
3,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > 021 start radius end radius error
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by XAD View Post
    great info! should x y and z match or just xy?
    They sould all match, and Z is the closest to factory spec IF i remember correctly, but unless your doing contouring with Z/other axis won't matter. Your quite a ways off though, so im a little concerned about adjusting the TACH signal on X up that much without checking the other adjustments on the drive, thats why i'm saying to just match it with Y for now. Too much tach and it may alarm out in rapid. Make small adjustments towards your goal and test as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    They sould all match, and Z is the closest to factory spec IF i remember correctly, but unless your doing contouring with Z/other axis won't matter. Your quite a ways off though, so im a little concerned about adjusting the TACH signal on X up that much without checking the other adjustments on the drive, thats why i'm saying to just match it with Y for now. Too much tach and it may alarm out in rapid. Make small adjustments towards your goal and test as you go.
    Ok I think I got it all dialed in at rest right a 0 and jogging in the 1 mode 125 all axis.
    thank you!

Cool, now cut a circle and check it.

Greetings-
    From the manual the set-up procedure for MSI Servo Drives:

With one lead of a digital ohm meter on TP2-1 and the other lead on: (NOTE: J1 plugs must be disconnected.)

TP1-2, adjust TG pot for 2.85 K ohms
    TP1-3, adjust PC pot for 2.62 K ohms
    TP1-4, adjust RC pot for 2.35 K ohms
    TP1-5, adjust SG pot for 6.13 K ohms
    TP1-6, adjust VC pot for 2.62 K ohms

Install the drive & turn power on.

Reset E-Stop, reference machine. Go to mode select 5 (set-up), key in TM4, enter (servo adjust). Then select 0, Jog. Enter Jog Mode 1. Set feedrate override pot to Max CW (high).

Adjust BL pot for zero standing axis lag +/- .0002".

While jogging the axis, adjust SG pot for .015" axis lag.

Hope this helps

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by T0DD View Post
    Greetings-
    From the manual the set-up procedure for MSI Servo Drives:

With one lead of a digital ohm meter on TP2-1 and the other lead on: (NOTE: J1 plugs must be disconnected.)

TP1-2, adjust TG pot for 2.85 K ohms
    TP1-3, adjust PC pot for 2.62 K ohms
    TP1-4, adjust RC pot for 2.35 K ohms
    TP1-5, adjust SG pot for 6.13 K ohms
    TP1-6, adjust VC pot for 2.62 K ohms

Install the drive & turn power on.

Reset E-Stop, reference machine. Go to mode select 5 (set-up), key in TM4, enter (servo adjust). Then select 0, Jog. Enter Jog Mode 1. Set feedrate override pot to Max CW (high).

Adjust BL pot for zero standing axis lag +/- .0002".

While jogging the axis, adjust SG pot for .015" axis lag.

Hope this helps

Todd
    Todd thanks i will need to get some help with these settings its over my head.
    I am noticing that is 25 inches of actual x travel that it only reads about 22" ? will these settings fix this or is there another problem?

Make sure you have msi drives before you do this! Early machines had baldor, then msi, then back to baldor. Some even had servo dynamics I've seen.

And no, it will not effect travel distance. It's only for servo tuning, and that procedure is typically only used if you replace a axis card.

Check your scaling in the set up page.

Make sure you have msi drives before you do this! Early machines had baldor, then msi, then back to baldor. Some even had servo dynamics I've seen.

And no, it will not effect travel distance. It's only for servo tuning, and that procedure is typically only used if you replace a axis card.

Check your scaling in the set up page.
    Scale factor SX 1.0
    and SZ 1.0? seems odd loosing 3 inches in a 25 and 3/4 x travel y seems ok
    I measured the travel in 25.5586 it only reads on the read out 22.1586 off 2.7289?

That's quite a bit. Not sure if those machines had pitch error comp or not. Been too long. Might be a parameter in the pic causing it.

That is alot of error! I've not seen pitch error compensation in the control yet, though I've used this machine very little (I've been programming them for many years, just recently bought one since it is such a good little machine). I'll dig through every manual I have in spare time and see what I can find. Just as a reference mine is a '93 J425 with Baldor drives and is in excellent condition so I've not had to fix anything yet.

I'd like to know how you checked that distance. Was it one move, several moves one direction, or moves with opposite direction?

Todd

That is alot of error! I've not seen pitch error compensation in the control yet, though I've used this machine very little (I've been programming them for many years, just recently bought one since it is such a good little machine). I'll dig through every manual I have in spare time and see what I can find. Just as a reference mine is a '93 J425 with Baldor drives and is in excellent condition so I've not had to fix anything yet.

I'd like to know how you checked that distance. Was it one move, several moves one direction, or moves with opposite direction?

Todd
    Thanks for the info!
    to check travel I took a piece of stock 25.5586 put it in the vises touched of on one side and ran it to the other and touched of and this was the actual 25.5586 and the control said 22.1586 not sure of the proper way to check just what i could come up with. then i programmed a 3x1 rectangle 1 in y was fine but X was 3.5 ish?

Any ideas what setting to get this back to proper X travel anyone?

Did it do this before tuning the drive? Im guessing it did since you only adjusted the tach signal, and those adjustment really have nothing to do with position. Is the X axis motor different than Y? Im wondering if someone changed the X motor out. That would explain why the lag was soo far off. There were different pulley diameters on some of the motors. Take the Y motor off and switch with the X and check it.

Did it do this before tuning the drive? Im guessing it did since you only adjusted the tach signal, and those adjustment really have nothing to do with position. Is the X axis motor different than Y? Im wondering if someone changed the X motor out. That would explain why the lag was soo far off. There were different pulley diameters on some of the motors. Take the Y motor off and switch with the X and check it.
    im sure it did do it before not sure if the parameter setting are off or what.
    cut a pretty oval though as is lol.

Quote Originally Posted by XAD View Post
    im sure it did do it before not sure if the parameter setting are off or what.
    cut a pretty oval though as is lol.
    I spoke with dynapath today very patient dealing with my troubles I have to get an accurate measurement of travel then he is going to walk me through changing parameters to match travel. now i just have to figure out how to get that number?

Okay, checking something that was actually 25.5586" long you lost 3.400" on the readout, so 22.1586*1.153439297=25.5586. With that number, on the control cutting 3.0 should be actually 3.4603. I'm with underthewire on this that the X axis pully is a larger diameter than it should be.

Okay, checking something that was actually 25.5586" long you lost 3.400" on the readout, so 22.1586*1.153439297=25.5586. With that number, on the control cutting 3.0 should be actually 3.4603. I'm with underthewire on this that the X axis pully is a larger diameter than it should be.
    Thank you for the reply! the guy i bought it from himes machinery says nothing has been changed but you can clearly see and when removing cover on X axis that it has been fooled with. Delta is going to help me reset the parameters to match but i have to get a accurate measurement first and this is were i have the problem getting something that I trust and the way he wants me to measure to come up with the number. I touch of a paralleled block move away come back and never get with in a thousand and a half close to the same number. Delta wants me to touch off travel and never back up to remove servo lag but this is hard to get a measurement from this way for me?

Where are you located? If in Indiana I can stop by and help, otherwise gages or standards and an indicator are going to be most helpful, and the longer the distance checked the better.
    Todd

Where are you located? If in Indiana I can stop by and help, otherwise gages or standards and an indicator are going to be most helpful, and the longer the distance checked the better.
    Todd
    That is a awesome offer and i thank you but Im in tn to far for sure

If you feel pretty good about the 25.5586" and the 22.1586" measurements, that gives them a pretty good place to start (you could e-mail them the link to this thread).

If you feel pretty good about the 25.5586" and the 22.1586" measurements, that gives them a pretty good place to start (you could e-mail them the link to this thread).
    no i dont feel goo enough with this number im going to try a 6" parallel and see what i get i know that that is 6" so i have a good starting point.
    this site is awesome by the way lots of good helpful people and i thank everyone for the kind help!

Page 2 of 3 123