587,028 active members*
3,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My idea on a new CNC machine.

Ok I have gotten really frustrated trying to build one of these. Either I don't have the proper tools or the proper skill to build on from the many plans I have looked at. So I'm trying something a little different. Please give me your input on what I'm about to try and do. I'm planning on using these for my X,Y and Z axis eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices with longereBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices replacement shafts. I do have a concern of how much the shafts will bow when in use. I plan on a 2 foot by 3 foot machine. The cutting area will be smaller. Thanks.

What type of machine are you trying to build? A flat bed router, or a milling machine?

Have you looked at this site? There is a lot of good information as well as plans and kits. It could be a good place to start.

Build Your Own CNC Router, CNC Machine, or 3D Printer

I plan on using a Dremal and a small trim router. I guess a flatbed router is what it would be called.

Dear rpe,
    I would hate to discourage anyone from this site. It is, however, a DYI (Do It Yourself) site. If you truly find that you have no mechanical skills whatsoever and you absolutely, positively got to have one, you could possibly find a used DIY machine in your area for sale and go that route. Another thing to remember is it takes a fair level of computational skills to make one of these things operate. I appologize if I read your posting wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rpe View Post
    I do have a concern of how much the shafts will bow when in use. I plan on a 2 foot by 3 foot machine.
    36" long 1/2"D. shafts will flex quite a bit.
    These would be a much better choice, although much more expensive.

Have you looked at this site? There is a lot of good information as well as plans and kits. It could be a good place to start.

Build Your Own CNC Router, CNC Machine, or 3D Printer
    I'd strongly suggest looking at CNCrouterparts.com to anyone thinking about buying a kit from BuildYourCNC. For the same or only a little more money (and sometimes even less money, you get a far superior machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sorry about my communication skills (no offense taken). I'm not a machinist but I can build things. As for my tools most of them was lost in a house fire. So I just buy what I can afford right now. My main goal is to get a CNC Router up and running. I have every thing but the limit switches and a built table. I have a drill press, jig saw, router and router table, dremal and a few wrenches to work with right now. I've spent most of my spare money on CNC components. Ok now back to business. Would the 1/2 Inch rods flex very much if you turned it up on its side essentially doubling the 1/2 inch rods? I will be using this mainly for wood and some light aluminum work.

Yes, they will flex a lot regardless of the orientation.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks ger21. If I shortened it to 2' x 2' would that work decent enough for a first CNC? I plan on building one of the 8020 designs later when I recover from the house fire. This is mainly for a learning Mach3 and getting my feet wet.

Consider going down to your local hardware store and looking at their pipe section. Take a 10 ft section of pipe of various sizes and lightly shake it up and down from one end. If you can see it flex, then that size is too small.

Somewhere around 2 in dia, you will find happiness for a small wood router. While this approach sounds a bit primative, it is remarkably close to real wood router needs and math calculations.

I would start at automation overstock and buy some of their hiwin rails, then buy some square tubing to make a frame for the mounting.

The frame and linear rail are the most critical parts of the system. If they flex, nothing will work.

This is kinda the idea I have in mind. It will be different but basically the same idea.http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ost995366.html

I have been a member of LL for around 6 years and have followed the building of the little mill from the beginning.

It looks great but it is not the easiest to do yourself because of not having any adjustments to adjust the rails.

Microcarve make a nice machine and sell the hardware kits here it is just as good as the LL machine in most ways and better in some and he makes lots of them for a good price. If you have steppers and drivers you could be milling in short time.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...p_machine.html

rpe,

i design and make clothes for a living...
    and now i'm building a cncrp 24x48" kit.
    you can see my build log in my sig.

mechanical assembly is quite simple and Ahren has been very informative and supportive.

good luck.
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log

arizonavideo, I think you'll find that LumenLab and the micRo are both dead. They shafted a whole bunch of customers, and I believe they declared bankruptcy. Last I looked, the entire micRo forum had just disappeared.

rpe, if you want a small, simple, and reliable machine from trustworthy builders who deliver within their quoted time, then you can't go past the Fireball V90 (Probotix, moving gantry) or the MV3 (Microcarve, fixed gantry).

I've got both, and never regretted either purchase.
    WARNING: I am not responsible for links in my posts unless I specifically refer to that link. CNCZone is modifying posts. Click these links at your own risk.

I know LL is dark as I have been watching what has been going on.

I never jumped in on the mill mainly because it was not right for my use. I built a all aluminum router with 35mm Hiwin rails 25mm rails and 20mm rails.

I did a short blog over their of the router but it got deleted somehow. After that I came here.

The little LL mill looked OK but that only would matter if they could deliver a part which they no longer do.

I did make the most powerful DIY projector known at 1200 watts.

Ok going against advise of some. I have started my build. It is smaller than the 2 ft. X 3 ft I originally posted. Here is some pic's of what I have done so far. I believe I will have about X=20",Y=12" and Z=3" of travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0031[1].JPG   IMG_0033[1].JPG   IMG_0034[1].JPG   IMG_0032[1].JPG