586,058 active members*
4,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Printing, Scanners, Vinyl cutting and Plotters > Cutting, engraving into cylinders like PVC pipe?

Cutting, engraving into cylinders like PVC pipe?

Hi guys, has anyone seen an existing machine that could cut or engrave into cylinders of various sizes?

I'm thinking the machine would almost be like a plotter like cutting machine but just move on one axis plus control of plunging the drill/cut bit deeper into the material. Then a drum that turns in both directions.

I'd need it to be able to hand cylinders from 1inch to 4 foot in diameter...

Any ideas or discussion would be appreciated as this is something I know nothing about.... I was going to attempt to do the first few pieces by hand with a Dremel but something more mechanical would let me do some great geometrical designs...

Cutting, engraving into cylinders like PVC pipe?

Just sold a milling machine that was converted to CNC with Mach 3 driver. It sounds like what you need. It was capable of engraving on a cylinder, not sure abut the 4 ft diameter. Used the rotary table for 4th axis.
    Best to look in E-Bay .

Thanks for the quick reply....

Will have a look on eBay, don't really know any of the technical terms so will see how far I get. I'm seeing quite a few machines that are for engraving in wood cylinders which is a little too advanced for what I need. I basically need to be able to cut shapes out of a PVC pipe so wouldn't need dynamical control of how deep the bit goes into the material.