586,061 active members*
4,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Creating tabs in Mastercam x6

Creating tabs in Mastercam x6

Can anyone give me the run down on how to create tabs? Im trying to cut basically a square out of a sheet of plexi and every time I make a contour path it makes the tool path but not the tab even if I select the option to add 4 tabs.

Thanks for the input.
    Steve
    Check out my 8020 build
    http://stevetotheo.blogspot.com/

I always use the Manual placement tab to put em where I want them.

Just make sure your giving them a thickness and width.

click the geometry> move the mouse to correct location > then press enter, repeat for as many as needed.

Are you putting in thickness and width parameters?

Hi,

In the same vein, I am trying to remove tabs that have been automatically or manually placed. I am not sure how to do that without redoing the whole operation. Any tips would be very helpful!

Stevetotheo :

You may have to give a more in depth of how you do it and.....your toolpath parameters.
    Reason I'm saying this is, like many software, MasterCam may say / seem intuitive.....as long as you studied it and know allot about it's exceptions.....so much for intuitive !?
    Anyway, taps in another one with it's exceptions !
    Maybe you are not selecting the same "ligne" as your chaining path?!
    Tabs will not be applied if your not on the same geometry chain !
    Also, make sure your on the same Cplane !?
    in the tab window, do you select "create tabs on shape" or tab all ??
    Tab all will be more...."friendly".....
    I also second on the fact, YOU MUST adjust tab thickness......If this last one is say, set at 0.001, you will hardly if any, see those in backplot or verify !
    Automatic ou manual, any should make tabs, regardless !!

There maybe other reasons......of witch I can't tell before having more on the step by step your taking ?!

tomsvilans :

removing tabs :
    To remove tabs, you must go through by selecting "geometry" in the toolpath group, to open the chain manager.
    from there, right click on the specific chain you want to modif the tabs and from the context menu, select at the bottom.....EDIT TABS.
    this will open the tab "manager' option !
    from there, you can either, add, edit, remove.....and so on !

hop this may help....
    Good luck !! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
    tomsvilans :

removing tabs :
    To remove tabs, you must go through by selecting "geometry" in the toolpath group, to open the chain manager.
    from there, right click on the specific chain you want to modif the tabs and from the context menu, select at the bottom.....EDIT TABS.
    this will open the tab "manager' option !
    from there, you can either, add, edit, remove.....and so on !
    Huge thanks! This has been bugging me for ages.

if you just want to remove the tabs being created just uncheck the box for tabs.
    Question would be are you wanting to move the tabs to another location?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    if you just want to remove the tabs being created just uncheck the box for tabs.
    Question would be are you wanting to move the tabs to another location?
    Yeah, the issue was more when switching from automatic tabs to manual, or when trying to rearrange tabs on a piece. It's a bit silly to not be able to access move / erase tabs from the main toolpaths dialog box; you can only add tabs there.

I am not sure what the issue is you can go in to the tabs page and make all kinds of changes and regen. were do you want to be able to make the changes from? not sure what you are saying.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    I am not sure what the issue is you can go in to the tabs page and make all kinds of changes and regen. were do you want to be able to make the changes from? not sure what you are saying.
    Issue is solved, thanks! Robert M pointed out how to edit tabs in the Geometry panel.

Agreed good way to go also you can go in to tabs in the parameters to make changes to or if you are using Square points you cant select them and delete the ones you don't want and regen or add more points and regen to.

Have a good day.
    Cadcam