584,363 active members*
6,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Metalworking- / Woodworking Tooling / Manual Machining > Which material or substance should I use to mold and make Panpipe?

Question Which material or substance should I use to mold and make Panpipe?

Greeting!
    Sorry for my poor English...

I want to mold and make pan flutes,

I’ve already made it from wood and molded it with silicon. Now, the problem is, since this pan flute has contact with lip and mouth, so it should be made of a hygienic material which is harmless for health.
    This material should also have an acoustic mode, like wood or bamboo to some degree.
    So please tell me which resin, epoxy or materials should I use?

Since I want to make a lot of these panpipes, so I need to use casting and these materials...
    Wood and bamboo needs a lot of working, labor and have more difficulties

Cheers

Most plastic wind instruments, like recorders for instance, are injection-molded using styrene-based thermoplastics. These are pretty benign once they've been cast. But none of the materials that I've cast in silicone rubber molds are things I'd really want to put in my mouth. Epoxy, polyester, and urethane resins can all have nasty smells associated with them. Polyurethanes are particularly toxic to work with. But there are food-grade MDI ester polyurethanes that are supposed to be non-toxic when fully cured. I have no idea what they sound like, though, when blown through.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather make these from wood, on a CNC lathe?

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Somewhere I have seen a little hand Injection press, it looks similiar like a silikonpress with heating. Maybe such a part can do with Polypropylene plastics which is used for foodpackages.

Benchtop Injection Molder - Home Page
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD-kCf8amHk]Home or Hobby Plastic Injection Molding Machine - YouTube[/ame]
    This is something you could make, as I doubt you could buy it from here, though you might buy from China.
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.