586,111 active members*
3,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    I think he meant specifically circular interpolating with an end mill. I don't think anyone does anything but straight up and down with drills, but I could be wrong.
    I have tried going sideways with a drill and the machine can do it quite well but the tool life is short. Doesn't seem to matter if the spindle is turning in the hole or not though.

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    I have tried going sideways with a drill and the machine can do it quite well but the tool life is short. Doesn't seem to matter if the spindle is turning in the hole or not though.

nitewatchman
    Lol! Yea, I've tried that too.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Lol! Yea, I've tried that too.
    I also am very experienced at this technique. The nice part is to do this expertly, you don't have to worry about speeds and feeds, only direction. The only math is calculating the shipping cost for the replacement drill.

Quote Originally Posted by waltpermenter View Post
    you have no answer to his simple question about your dumb suggestion so you try to deflect attention, how old are you?
    Yeaaaah... I'm sorry but I don't understand at all, I simply said thank you for the info on the drill bits to Steve and now I have 2 enemy's, weird how you old grumps react to things. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all, this was a perfect example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Yeaaaah... I'm sorry but I don't understand at all, I simply said thank you for the info on the drill bits to Steve and now I have 2 enemy's, weird how you old grumps react to things. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all, this was a perfect example of that.
    Yeaaaah.... he simply asked you a question even said please and you somehow took offense, grow a set and quit acting like a spoiled child.

If I offended anyone with my reply, I sincerely apologize. Someone asked me how I do it and I replied with that information.

If someone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it.

Steve
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    I don't think that you have made any enemy's, maybe people poking a little fun in a crude backhand kind of way.

Part of the reward for making it to old age is the right to be grumpy, sometimes it is the highlight of my day, right up there with a good morning dump.

nitewatchman

It's not a right. It is a necessity, but now the forum punishes us by not showing our age anymore. I like being eligible to grumpy.
    A little box beside the picture would not waste many pixels.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Off the subject a little.

In my day job I manage our company's R&D Division and we are looking at the development of a new NDE process. The requires that we produce a 0.040", 0.060" and 0.090" holes through a Austenitic Manganese Steel Casting test blocks 6" thick. These blocks can be quite large and weigh in excess of 2000#. One of the characteristics of AMS is that it work hardens when any force is applied to it. In our manufacturing processes we treat the surface with plastic explosives to raise the hardness from about 180Bhn to 400 to 450Bhn. In service the hardness will increase to 650Bhn.

While we can mill the material using large agressive cutters staying under the work hardened zone, drilling is wishful thinking. Typically a 1" HSS drill may make it 1/4" to 1/2" deep and we typically use insert carbide drills and they are pushed to the limit and don't last very long. Most holes are cored and left raw. To date we have not found a 0.060" insert carbide drill, I think that the screws holding the insert will be too small.

We have also tried EDM and EDM drills. These tend to work but the workpiece is a casting and any inclusion, metallic oxide or othe "booger" tends to insulate and stop the process cold.

We have settled on using a very large (C40) Camman Tap Extractor. Running 300psi coolant pressure this machine will give us a good quality 0.060" hole 6" to 7" deep in about 2 hours. It will also cut a 2" diameter core out of the same material in about 4 hours.

Just another way to attack the problem.

nitewatchman

Maybe the gun drilling people have a solution for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post

We have settled on using a very large (C40) Camman Tap Extractor. Running 300psi coolant pressure this machine will give us a good quality 0.060" hole 6" to 7" deep in about 2 hours. It will also cut a 2" diameter core out of the same material in about 4 hours.

Just another way to attack the problem.

nitewatchman
    How many guys do you know of who have one of these in their garage?

I have a simple solution to drilling deep holes in steel. I just say ''NO"
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post

I have a simple solution to drilling deep holes in steel. I just say ''NO"
    Actually that was the problem, everyone said "NO". Unfortunately, we are the last guys in line and when we turned to the right to say no there wassn't anyone standing there. I hate it when that happens.

The gun drilling guys just laughed when they learned that the material contained 1.2% Carbon, 13% Manganese and occasionally 0.6% Chrome. After nearly a year of failed attempts we put a Navy Surplus unit in our lab about 4 months ago and haven't looked back. We have also seen a flurry of motorcycle head with broken studs, pump with broken bolts, etc that find their way in from the shop guys as "government" jobs. We will do stuff like this on a barter basis in exchange for help when we need something fabbed.

When you need a fire - you find a match.

nitewatchman

Page 3 of 3 123