586,096 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Using v-rail plasmabot for router?

As I get close to completion of my plasma table I began thinking how I could use a router table to cut some polyethylene parts I make. Would make it much easier to make them.

Anyone used the v rail plasmabot with a router attached? Not sure if the shop droids z axis would torque with the pressure. I'm sure if you go slow enough it would work.

Defiantly don't want to use a dremel, since I'm cutting 1" thick poly. Routers are too big. What are you guys using for the "router" part? I found some spindle units around that look cool but they all seem to run on 3 phase and are Kindof expensive.

Any input would be welcomed.

--John

No one?

I guess you have to think about the PlasmaBot 3.0 design. It's Y axis rolls on top of the IVTAAS rails and the only thing keeping it from going upwards or being lifted off the rails would be the pinion gears on each Y axis stepper.

How much "torque" is required to route and how much will the pinions allow before it tries to lift the v bearings off the rail?

The 4.0 gantry kit captures the 2x2 rail in 3 dimensions so it would be impossible to lift the gantry off the y axis.

You may already know this info, just throwing it out there to try to help come up with the solution. I'm building from the same kit and can't wait to hear more about your build.

Nacs, exactly what I was thinking. I plan on building a separate machine for the router work, but in the meantime I figured heck maybe I'll give it a shot.

I could always modify the kit so it has some sort of additional support....

Just wondered if anyone had tried it.

--John

The PlasmaBot 3.0 came in two flavors - Basic and Ultimate.

The Basic version utilizes fixed motor mounts thereby allowing the pinion gear to lock down the gantry from upward forces such as when a router is used. Because of this feature it was classified in its description as a plasma/router gantry kit.

The Ultimate version utilizes the spring loaded (back-lash free) motor mounts. This machine was classified as a (plasma only) gantry kit because it can not lock down the gantry from upward forces.

To utilize the Ultimate kit for routing purposes simply involves removing the (red) pressure loading springs thereby losing the back-lash free feature and allowing you to lock down the motor mount as shown in the image below:

My Blog
    http://www.needfulthings.net/tulsaturbo/myblog/index.php

Hey Tulsa. I have the one without the springs. So I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

--John