586,071 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bell-shaped accel/decel

Does anyone know if the bell-shaped accel/decel option parameter is a single option for both rapid traverse and cutting or if these are two separate option parameters. My machine is currently configured for bell-shaped accel/decel on rapids, but not for cutting. If the single option parameter gives me the option to used bell-shaped accel/decel on cutting as well, I'd like to configure the 16xx params to take advantage of it in cutting mode as well. I started doing some smaller parts recently and one had so many tiny back and forth moves that I ended up with a servo over temp alarm from all of the jerking back and forth of the gantry.

Yes, I know I could get a larger servo and my amp definitely has extra capacity for it, but I don't see the value in adding more servo power to the system if I can solve it by taming the accel/decel profile.

I thought it was only one parameter for both. Sounds like you could use the High Speed Machining function to slow down in corners. PM coming.

OK, then It's probably worth taking some time to sit down and figure out the appropriate values. Worst case scenario, i switch back to exponential accel if the machine decides not to execute interpolated feeds after turning on bell-shaped in #1610.1

Slight improvement, but not quite where I was hoping to be. In the absence of HSM and HPCC features, is there anything I can do to get some kind of look-ahead functionality that will slow the feedrate through contours with fine features? I'd hate to have to run contours in exact stop mode in order to eliminate accel/decel and overshoot errors.

Ok, so I went back to the description manual for the 21i-MA. It would appear that this control doesn't have an option for HSM or HPCC, but does have optional look-ahead. Any chance someone on here knows anything verifying that it is enabled and any corresponding g code that would activate it? I get an incorrect g code for g05 and g08 commands, presumable because HSM and HPCC aren't available, so how can I make use of read-ahead to reduce contour following error?

Look ahead should be G8 P1 or G8 P0 to turn it off, and I think is an option. (everything is with fanuc) If your getting errors the option probably is not enabled. There is also G61 thru G64 for different position modes (exact stop, corner override, Tapping, Cutting) There are some restrictions on what you can do in various modes, so read up on that.

After reading the description manual for the 21i-MA, it would appear that HSM and HPCC are both unavailable on this controller, even as options. Oddly enough, it lists look-ahead control as an option, but I have no idea what that would provide in this case.