586,065 active members*
4,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > TB6560 (blue 3 axis) PWM Spindle Speed Control

TB6560 (blue 3 axis) PWM Spindle Speed Control

I have the blue 3 axis TB6560 drivers and I have it working OK on my small machine setup.

I would like to use Mach3 to control my spindle speed. I have built a spindle using a brushless dc motor and it is running off a servo tester that uses a pot to change the speed. The servo tester simply has one line which I believe sends a pwm signal to the motor driver.

I was told to simply set a pin on my parallel port to "spindle" in Mach3 and run a line from the parallel pin to the motor driver and mach3 would provide this signal instead of the servo tester. However, the TB6560 has an integrated BOB and there doesn`t seem anywhere for an extra output for the spindle. There are 3 terminals for spindle on the TB6560 but these I believe are for the relay - Vol in, Earth, Vol out. I don`t think any of these are outputs to the parallel port.

Can I tap into the driver anywhere to pull of an extra output or perhaps tap into the manual interface??

I`m not 100% clear always what I am doing with electronics but with good instructions, I will be capable of giving this a go!

Any help would be massively appreciated!
    Chris

On the 3 axis version of the blue TB6560 board pins 15, 16, 17 are not used and are availlable. You can tap into them on the bottom of the board, at the 25 pin edge connector. Just make sure you understand the pin numbering top and bottom.

In MACH3 if you go to the Spindle setup tab and select "Use spindle motor output". Now go to the motor outputs and you will notice spindle Enable is now active. You can now set the output to a free pin on port '1' .

Once this is done you need to wire the pin you chose to the 25 pin edge connecor on bottom of the card. Route this wire to your PWM board. Now slder a proper ground wire back to the 25 pin edge connector of the TB6560 board (one of pins 18 thru 25). Setup MACH3 for the PWM signal.

I suspect this should work.

MP*10

Hello, thanks for your reply. Really helpful - I just need to clarify one thing...

When you say that you can tap into pins15,16,17 on the bottom of the board, do you mean I`ll have to expose some of the tracking on the pcb and solder a wire to it? I`ve no idea what the little white block I`ve highlighted below is for but I presume it takes something from the 20 pin connector - can I ustilise that in any way?

www.raynerd.co.uk/images/tb6560.jpg

Chris

That 15 pin white connector (JST) is for the optional pendant or manual jog (Joy stick, game controler), the optional display panel or other similar device. The external DB15 connector shares the pin out with the 15 pin JST connector.

The both share some of the signals present on the 25 pin connector (parrallel cable).

Since pins 15, 16, 17 are not used as per the User manual, I must suspect those pins will not be availlable at the DB15 or the 15 pin JST connector.

The picture I post shows the parrallel port connector from bottom of board (red oval). Pins 1 and 14 are identified. Pins 15 thru 17 are identrified (green sq)

One caveat here. My suggestion is based on the 3 axis blue board files I have on a CD that came with my 4 axis blue board. Your (or the board you show) seem to be of an earlier design. Several components differ, several added connectors, pots. To get a good grasp it would require the instructions that came with your board, specificaly to confirm the parrallel cable pin outs are the same as I state.

My instructions are based on this type board. http://www.fozztexx.com/CNC/HY-TB3DV-M_3Axis_Driver.pdf

MP*10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottom.jpg  

Hi, once again I appreciate your time taken to reply.

I appologise, I pinched the photo off the net and edited it - it isn`t the exact board I own. Mine is the same as the photo you have shown in the instruction manual pdf you linked to.

I was googling it after last nights reply you sent and I found this:
    DrKFS.net: scientific techniques, experimental methods, & investigative tools for the inventor, researcher and laboratory pioneer

The schematic shows a 4 block connector to the free pins and looking at the picture, I found the little terminal block of 4 free pins , 16 and 17 in the centre with grounds outside.

Now, I`m not really well up on electronics but I`ve found this terminal on my board and using a continuity testing buzzer, I can see that the two outer pins are ground as the schematic implies, however I don`t get continuity between the pins you have shows as 16 and 17 on the picture you attached with the port I have found...however, perhaps the circuitry would be stopping continuity with these pins even if they are connected...not sure how it works.

So it looks like there could possibly be a way in without hacking into it!!

Chris

Aware of that diagram as it came up in the "HOW I FIXED MY CHINESE TB6560 BOARD" thread.

16 and 17 are optional output ports. The 4 pin berg connector you found is the end of the line unless someone plugs something to it. Both pin 16 and 17 are protected by a Zener diode and will conduct in only one direction/way. Invert you buzzer or OHM meter and you should get continuity. Those pins are also availlable on the 4 or 5 axis boards, we just do not have any free pins on the parrallel cable to use it so the seller did not bother populating the pads with the Berg connector.

If you are not going tu use pin 16 or 17 you could use one or the other to get your spindle running. I assume the zener should not hamper your efforts and is simply added protection. 1N4134 are good for 90V and 60V reverse voltage. But I am by no means an expert, just a tinkerer of the blue board.

15 is not used at all and is free for you to use at your leasure.

I suggest you also take this to the MACH3 forum or here in the MACH3 section to see what is involved in setting up MACH3 for the PWM signal.

MP*10

Re: TB6560 (blue 3 axis) PWM Spindle Speed Control

I'm in the same boat. V in, V out, Gnd. Can't get any kind of continuity however I probe. (TB6560 board).