586,055 active members*
4,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > newbie: okuma vmc osp U-10m actual position problem
Page 1 of 2 12

newbie: okuma vmc osp U-10m actual position problem

I am totally new to machining and to okuma. I have an okuma/crown 4020vmc. A person at my shop reloaded the software into the machine and now it reads my actual position as 625 x 637y and 650 z and will not let me jog or move the position. How do I get it to read the actual position correctly. (the machine was at home when he rebooted the software)

Check in the back of your machine for the Management Data card. It should have the encoder offsets recorded on it as well as the stroke end limits. Once those are set, you need to re enter your fixture offsets as well as your tool offsets etc.

Reloading software flushes all memory, so that is why it's highly recommended to back up first.

Newer controls do this automatically, older controls require a utility disk. Most all machines can at least use the data pip function to make a text file of the parameters , but saving the PBU files with the utility is the best way.

Best regards,

Thank you for the answer. This probably sounds really dumb but I don't know where to enter the encoder offsets and the stroke end limiets. I do have a backup card which has bpu parameters saved by the previous owner but I do not know how to load them. How can I do that?

You'll need to go into your PARAMETER mode and then ITEM down until you get to SYSTEM PARAMETERS. You should find your encoder offset listed as PR ZERO OFFSET and your STROKE END LIMITS should be on the same page if I remember right.

Press SET then enter the numbers followed by WRITE. (record old numbers first incase you make a mistake) You should get an alarm that says" Power on effective parameter set" at that time. Enter all of your numbers, press the BACKUP key and then power off and on your control.

If all goes well, your machine will be able to jog between it's limits once again.

Best regards,

thank you again, I will let you know how it goes. Just for my education, how can I load the from the back up disc? How do I call them up from the disc and save them to the memory?

there are at least two ways.
    1. Use maintenance mode. It's switch on the CPU inside main control cabinet.
    2. save parameters into file in regular working mode with DPIP.

thank you, can you help walk me through it on the control?

Okumawiz and Algirdaz thank you. I was able to load the parameters again. The actual position is now correct.

However, I still cannot get the axis to jog (any of them) It shows no alarms and no problems, they just don't move. Any suggestions?

Double check your STROKE END LIMITS and VARIABLE LIMITS are correct and that you are "within" your limits. If you are, check to make sure your ATC is on #1 with READY displayed. Sometimes if it is not, it will lock axis movement.

Best regards,

I adjusted the variable limits and am within the stroke end limits. The atc is in position 1 and ready. I can now jog x but there is still no movement on z or y. Any suggestions?

Are there any axis inhibits on? Are by chance the positive and negative numbers swapped in the limits? Do the numbers for the limits based on your zero set "look correct" in the ACTUAL POSITION (program) display?

I'm kind of guessing in the dark here without any actual numbers of what the position is and what your VARIABLE LIMIT numbers are, so that may be a next step. Let us know some more details if possible.

Best regards,

PS> No pallet changer on this machine, right?

p program work limit x=20 y=9.0945 z = 17.5590
    nprogram work limit x= -20 y= -90945 z = - .390
    mc is the same
    system parameter
    p travel limit x= 20n n y = 9.0945 z= 17.559
    n travel limit x = -20 y =-9.0945 z= -.0390

actual position x = -5.5991 y = 5.5997 z= 17.4893

this is my position. Below are the two alarms I have seen.
    alarm earlier (2713 axis interlock releasing )
    alarm when trying atc ( 3705 atc system condition 380)

I have not been able to see the page in user parameter for axis interlock. I select it but it does not appear

Ok, I tried to run a program and got this alarm:

1703-02 alarm a axis interlock Y axis 2949

there is a mess with limits, most likely. Take care, this method is dangerous.
    1. ensure You can see either LS physically or corresponding input bit on screen.
    2. switch OT (overtravel release) on
    3. manual mode, move axis by pulse handle untill LS activation.
    4. move axis ~4mm back.
    5. go to system parameters, system axis limits.
    6. select corresponding value
    7. Calc <Enter>
    repeat the procedure with all limits on all axes.
    now user axis limts are equal to system.
    Don't touch system limts. Use user limits. Any time You can make user limts = system limits adding to system limts 0.

ok, so I got the axis running ( I needed to set the zero offset on ma and ts ) I ran a tool change and everything seemed fine.

I am machining without any issues but I cannot make a tool change with the atc. I am currently changing manually but I need to get the atc up and running.
    The atc settings on screen are:
    Act tool Next tool Act Pot Sequence
    002 021 1 1 ready

* I currently have a tool in the spindle and all pots are empty.
    * In my tool settings pot 1-10 are empty (na) and pots 11 - 20 have tool 11 to 20 input

When I go to manual and select next step it stops at 1 in diagnosis i get the following message:
    15711 switching to TS axis is not complete 3

I needed to set the zero offset on ma and ts
    15711 switching to TS axis is not complete 3
    TS position is not in "ready", most likely. You need re-adjust ATC.
    the axis switch pin maybe clamped if TS or/ and MA position is wrong.
    There is axis change position- where hydraulic powered pin goes from CAM shaft (TS axis) to vertical wheel (magazine). Software is changing encoder readings from TS axis to MA axis according LS, which confirms proper pin movement.
    Check if this pin can move freely first.
    Next is TS/MA encoder zero setting at proper position

how can I know proper encoder zero settings for this machine. I do not have manuals

they are currently 0

I changed the zero offset and encoder offset for ts and got the following alarm

I am still stuck on sequence 1

15105 magazine pot downward ls is not on

15105 magazine pot downward ls is not on
    good. You are doing well. It's ATC step ~8 perhaps. There is LS under small cover at the place where magazine pot turns vertical. Look, could be heavy dirty. check your magazine offset also.
    Magazine adjustment:
    1. axis switch pin must move easy. encoder offset here
    2. active pot must slide into frame - mechanical adjustment if necessary

Page 1 of 2 12