586,117 active members*
3,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Pin out for Hurco KM-3 to computer

Pin out for Hurco KM-3 to computer

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I am trying to hook up an old computer to a Hurco KM-3 for a friend of mine. The computer came with the Hurco KM3 and all the software is on the computer, but the wire that plugs to the computer has been cut off before he purchased it.
    The Hurco KM3 works great by itself after I fixed a bunch of wires that mice or other rodents chewed up.
    From reading I understand that it uses an rs232, which I am thinking is a 9 pin serial db9.
    I have been spending hours trying to figure it out. I need to know the pin out for the plug to the computer, and if it actually does use a 9 pin serial db9. I believe that there is only 6 wires in this plug.

Thanks
    Ron

Ron,
    According to the drawings that I have for my KM-3, here are the pinouts. This is based on having the original circular MIL connectors. The cable goes from J1 on teh CPU card to the back panel.

J1
    TB4-MGT (Gr/Yel) --- A RS-232 Port 1 - P1
    11 --- Green (RxD) ---- B
    3 --- Yellow (TxD) ---- C
    9 --- Brown (CTS) ---- D
    10 --- Orange (RTS) --- E
    4 --- Blue (Gnd) ------- F Both are connected to F
    5 --- Gray (Gnd) ------ F
    1 Not Connected G Not Connected
    2 Not Connected H Not Connected
    14 Not Connected
    TB4-MGT (Gr/Yel) --- A RS-232 Port 2 - P2
    8 --- Wh/Yel (RxD) ---- B
    13 --- White (TxD) ----- C
    7 --- Wh/Red (CTS) --- D
    6 --- Wh/Blk (RTS) ---- E
    12 --- Violet (Gnd) ----- F
    15 Not Connected G Not Connected
    H Not Connected
    MGT = Metallic ground terminal

Looking at the back of the circular MIL the pinout looks like this. A is below the notch.
    A
    G B
    H
    F C
    E D

I have mine connected to an old Dell 4700 running XP and am able to download G-code to the KM-3 controller. Using XON/XOFF as the handshaking the download will fill the memory of the controller. As it executes the G-code the controller will dump the commands at the beginning of memory and load more until it's all sent. I'm using a 3-wire interface to the controller from the PC (TxD, RxD, Gnd) and it seems to work fine.

Now if I can just figure out why I'm getting a motion error on one of my axes... :tired:

rbalister is correct.

I tried and some of my round connector wire had been disconnected previously.

I ended up using the comm port on an MPU board bought from AMTS.

The MPU board has the DB9 connector that you referred to.

I don't think you can use a USB adapter/cord for this, it needs to be a true port connector.

JAckal:cheers:
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

The Hurco Mil connector is a tough one and the wiring diagram looks correct above. If you want, give me a call and we can probably make one up for you with the correct pinout. We have several other "odd" ball cables in stock and ready to go like those Bandit cables
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Thanks all for getting back to me so soon, unfortunately I have been very sick this week and I have not had a chance to go back over there. I want you to know that I appreciate all of you jumping in. When I get time to go back over there I will post the results to let you all know.

Thanks
    Ron

Another 2 wire cable

Ok I finally got back to work on this Hurco Machine I got the Hurco Mil connector hooked up to the pc correctly I think, but I noticed there is another cable coming from the back of the hurco machine that has two wires in it. Does anyone know what this cable hooks up to. I talked to the guy that owns it and he said that cable ran next to the mil connector to the computer but wasn't sure how it was hooked up.
    Thanks

You may have an optional M function relay.

its M25 in G code or the Index option in a position block.

I had this on a KM3 to trigger a Haas Indexer.